OCing questions from a n00b

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzardxexe

In Runtime
so i just built a little budget comp that actually performs fairly well. it has the 7750 kuma, which i think is a good CPU for overclocking.

i dont know anything about overclocking, i have a biostar 790gx mobo, so i did the automated overclock with the v8 engine. it OCed my processor to ~3.1ghz.

i was just worrying if my CPU gets too hot, will it automatically shut itself down? or is there a setting like "shutdown when CPU temp is above 80 degress" that i have to enable.

mind you this is a 7750 kuma with stock cooling/thermal grease. what would be a better manual overclock?

yeah do a manual overclock in the bios, but buy a nice cooler first

and check ur temps of the cpu

I think it wont go over 80 unless u do something very drastic like improper heatsink or something along those lines, I beileve it shuts down when it gets too hot, but at that point it should have never been near that hot because u can check the temps easily

it should clock to 3.2-3.3 nicely and stable

Turn the RAM speed down as low as you can, which will probably be 533MHz.

Slowly increase the FSB by 5 increments, boot to Windows each time to make sure it works. If at any time you can't boot to Windows or even POST, then you'll need to increase the VCore by the smallest increment, and then try again.

Rinse and repeat until you get your desired speed. Don't put the VCore over 1.475V.

Once you are at your desired speed, boot into Windows and run Orthos or Prime95 for around 8-10 hours. Make sure you monitor your temperatures periodically. If the load temps are above 55-60*C, you'll want to shut it down and decrease your overclock until you can get a better CPU cooler.

If you're 8-10 hours stable, you can turn your RAM back up. You didn't say what speed RAM you have so I'll assume DDR2 800. If its not awesome overclocking RAM, you'll want to keep it at around probably 800-840MHz. You might have to play with the CPU multiplier and FSB to get the desired RAM speed.

Hope that helps.

^
That's the simplest explanation of how to overclock I've ever seen, I've been looking for something like that for ages, THANK YOU :D

Well, that was very simply put. :p

Don't think overclocking is as simple as a few paragraphs, cause that's in a perfect world scenario.

Yeah I guess, I mean my RAM is 800, though it's high-quality corsair RAM so it could probably go up to 1066? And then, I don't know if my mobo could take it that high, yada yada.
Anyway, if I want help I'll start my own OCing thread and stop interrupting this one :D

Turn the RAM speed down as low as you can, which will probably be 533MHz.

Slowly increase the FSB by 5 increments, boot to Windows each time to make sure it works. If at any time you can't boot to Windows or even POST, then you'll need to increase the VCore by the smallest increment, and then try again.

Rinse and repeat until you get your desired speed. Don't put the VCore over 1.475V.

Once you are at your desired speed, boot into Windows and run Orthos or Prime95 for around 8-10 hours. Make sure you monitor your temperatures periodically. If the load temps are above 55-60*C, you'll want to shut it down and decrease your overclock until you can get a better CPU cooler.

If you're 8-10 hours stable, you can turn your RAM back up. You didn't say what speed RAM you have so I'll assume DDR2 800. If its not awesome overclocking RAM, you'll want to keep it at around probably 800-840MHz. You might have to play with the CPU multiplier and FSB to get the desired RAM speed.

Hope that helps.

Although this does not cover everything with ocing by far, it was a basic, simply put way to start ocing. You deserve rep for that.

Although this does not cover everything with ocing by far, it was a basic, simply put way to start ocing.

Indeed, it's just the framework of overclocking. There are sticky's and tutorials and junk at the top if you want more in-depth stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom