Questions about heat, fans, ect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
I have a few questions reguarding systems temps, fans, ect.... First off what are the nominal tempatures you want your system to be running at? I ran Abit EQ and its showing the system temp as 40 Degress C and the CPU at 60 degrees C, are those running too hot? Second, typically how many fans should one have in his system and what ratio do I want for intake and outtake? Here is my case: (Yeah I know its a cheap case ;))

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-156-114&depa=1

I think this case has the capacity to house 6, 80mm fans and 1, 60mm and I have the 60mm and 2 80mm's. Should I put 4 more 80mm's in there? I may altogether dump this case but I don't know yet.

Lastly the system specs listed below are going to be made bigger and better AMD 64 3200+, eVGA 6800, 480 Watt Thermaltake PSU, Abit KV8 Pro. Taking those into concideration would it better just to get a new case with more fans, or stay with my current case and add more fans, or would the temps stay about the same, not requireing any more cooling than I already have?

First off i had that exact case for sometime. if you notice the 2 side fans are both out take. meaning you probably dont have any intake... i suggest turning the one closest to the front of the case around to make it an intake (thats what i did). doing that alone took the case temp down from 34 to 28 idle. try doing that and see what happens.

I almost got that case...I don't know why, but with 6 fan ports, now I regret getting the one I got. It's got only one fan on the side, which brings me to a little question: What would bring the temps down more, an intake or outake fan?

I would figure that if your blowing cooler air on whatever piece of hardware your trying to cool, would work better. But you would think that you would need some way of removing the hot air from inside thus the outtake. I dunno I could be completely wrong

Flash the BIOS. Some Abit boards come with uncalibrated temperature sensors.

Choose your motherboard here. You will have the option to download the flash utlity, as well as the BIOS (ROM). Make sure that it is for your exact motherboard.

You can verify this by the version of the current BIOS, or the serial number off of your motherboard.

The link above will have detailed instructions.

And to answer your second question, you should have more exhaust fans than intake.

Well, I think my 60mm and my 2 80mm's are running as exhaust. So I will probably add two more 80mm's up front as intake.

Well, I flashed the bios, and cleared the CMOS (Hopefully correctly, never done it before) and every seems to working fine. As for the temp readouts I didn't see any real difference except on the CPU which is now reading at 53 degrees celcius but that could be just because my room is cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom