Media box

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion, I think the best out of those choices is an HTPC build. You can have higher storage capacities, as you can choose whatever hard drive you wish. And you'd be able to record as well if you wanted.

What kind of budget do you have and how do you want your setup? Do you want a KB&M (or wireless keyboard) handing around your living room? Are you going to KEEP your programs that your record or are you going to watch, then dump them?

If you have a laptop, you can do all that with 2 cables. one for audio, and one for video... That's how I have mine here at home... the wife plugs in the 2 cables, sets the PC input on the TV and poof, she's watching whatever she wants. (I have 25ft cables so she has plenty of room) She can also go online with the big screen if she wants... but it's all semi portable, so nothing extra is in the way.

+1 on what Nukem said. It all depends on what you want to spend and where the entire system will be. Another thing to consider, is what the computer/console will be hooked up to: LCD/plasma t.v., projector(not likely)? In any case, I think I would recommend an HTPC as well. You can make them pretty small (put everything in a mATX case and slide it in the back of a t.v. stand, Low profile vieo cards, etc) and just have a couple wires leading to the t.v. and you would be golden.

Price, function and looks is what you should be asking yourself.

thanks for suggestions
now that you put it like that, laptop seems like my best bet

I had my doubts at it at first, because usually integrated display adapters aren't great at all on the mobile device.

what tier of laptop should I be looking at? to ensure of smooth 1080P playback

I usually burn videos that I really like onto a dvd after watching, others just deleted
I guess wireless controls would be best..... so I can keep my weight up :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom