Battery compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

amoses

Solid State Member
My old Dell 1300 B130 has a dead HD438, 14.8V battery in it. 29WH capacity. I need to replace it and can find some on Ebay and other web searches that say they are compatable replacements. They vary from 10.8V to 11.1V. And from 2200 mAH to 4400 mAh. 4 cells and 6 cells. prices from $40.00 to $120.00.

How do I know what I am supposed to get? Can anyone advise me on what the difference in all these batteries are, why none of them match what I have, and if they will really work? Has anyone purchased some inexpesive batteries that worked out good? if so where?

Thanks for the help.

amoses

well Im not sure what model your talking about but at a guess its an Inspiron, either way your going to get longer battery life from a 6 cell. It really just boils down to what your wanting to pay. I would go for the 6 cell. (the capacity is based on the type of cell metal hydride, lithium ion etc.) all you really need to be concerned with is how long do i want my laptop to be on, how hot will it make it (6 cells will make it run a little hotter), and how much money do i want to spend.

Yes it is an Inspiron, Sorry. So I guess any of them would work then. Thanks.

Do you know of a reputable seller that is inexpensive? I bought cell phone batteries on Ebay once and they were junk. But some of these batteries I have seen have a 1 year warranty.

Any suggestions?

amoses

Hello,

Look for eBay items where the seller has good feedback, preferably offering the longest warranty.

If you want the longest battery life, get a compatible battery with the highest rated watts per hour (Wh) - essentially, the battery with the highest voltage (V) and 'capacity' (Ah or mAh). Most eBay listings provide this. However, if it isn't, this figure can be easily calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the 'capacity' (Ah): V x Ah = Wh. So, an 11.1V battery with a 'capacity' of 4400mAh (the same as 4.4Ah) provides 48.8Wh.

In comparison, a 48.8Wh battery will provide you with 1.7 times longer runtime than a 29Wh battery.

Wow, That is great information.... Thanks.

Someone else told me that if I used different voltage battery that I could ruin the computer.

thanks,

amoses

It can fry it... If something uses 12v max and you put a slightly higher voltage it can fry, or less of a voltage it wont power up... You need to find a battery that provides the same voltage. But if you can find a higher cell or higher Ah, that way it provides a slightly longer charge, but it will also take longer to charge.

I cant even locate a battery that is the same configuration, votage etc. When I go to dell battery center and look up the battery for my computer it try's to sell me a 53WHr 6 cell Lithium-Ion battery, Manufacturer Part# XD187, Dell Part# 312-0416, 11.1 V Which is entirely different than the current battery - HD438 Rating: 14.8V Capacity 29WH.

But all I can find on the web is this 11.1V battery, so I guess it will be OK? No one has run accross this yet?

Thanks for the help

Aaron Moses

I found what I am thinking is your battery, Dell Part# 312-0416

Just type the number into the search bar at the top of the dell page and it will take you to the only battery they have for your laptop, a bit pricy but that is the replacement, and it is 11.1v....

So I should not be concerned about the Voltage differences etc?

That is the battery that I found, but since the specs were so different I was concerned

amoses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom