How to overclock Quad Core 6600 2.4GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoMagic33

Baseband Member
Hi guys i am new to this over clocking stuff and cant really get my head round some of the tutorials, but id like to learn and would like to overclock my Quad Core 6600 2.4 to make 3 or 3.4GHz

Could somebody talk me through it it they have time. IS the overclocking done with software or is it done by hardware changing the chip or something

Anybody that would like to help id really appreciate it.

All The Best

Neo

You overclock through the bios. You "can" software overclock...but it's highly recommended that you don't. Just go into the bios and find the FSB speed and change it. it should be 266. Change it to 333. That'll give you 3.0ghz. But you might have to tweak with voltages some...if it doesn't post, give you a blue screen, or doesn't run stable (you should use a program like intel burn test or prime95 to test for stability) you'll need to up the voltage....but only raise it by like .05 each time

yea....wait...no offense but you don't seem to know a lot.

if this custom...as in built yourself? or a dell/hp/pre-built computer ? if so...you can't overclock

unfort my expertise lays with software engineering/development and not hardware, have a degree in computer science but they dont teach you this stuff....

Yeah its a custom build, bout and assemblied everthig myself....

I can't see how you can explain it anymore clear then what waffle said.

Also you will want to download a temp monitor, i use coretemp.

press delete/whatever button to get into bios.
go to the top thing (usually)
should be a lot of stuff about multiplier/FSB/CPU stuff in general.....
find the FSB..as said before it should be 266, change it to 333
save n exit bios...use prime 95 to test, use coretemp/realtemp/etc to monitor temps
if it works and has nice temps....congrats! if not..raise voltage

ohhh yea, make sure you have good aftermarket thermal paste and a good heatsink

PS: you're my hero, software engineering is what i plan to go into :p

^ what thermal paste are you using?

The AF7 will prob get you a little way, but not too far... you can probably get to 3.3ghz with it if you play your cards right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom