i7 and intel quad core(price vs performance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

v8killaz

In Runtime
Just getting some ideas for my new build

well im wondering if i should get an i7 or just a reg intel quad

I mean I know i7 is a better choice but from what i see they are still a bit expensive and i beleive i can wait and get them cheaper in a couple months

and then the mobos are pricey to for the i7 so what you guys think will i be fine with a intel quad

and i will be running a ati 4870 or geforce 285.

Dont really want to sepnd more than 800 for the whole system(without vid card and case, keyboard, mouse and small stuff like that)

If you dont currently have a 775 board and/or ddr2 memory, get the i7. It has far more overclocking potential and the performance you get out of it compared to the 775 chips is worth the extra money. I went from a q6600 running 3.6ghz to an i7 920 running at 4.2ghz and the entire platform runs faster. For the record, the i7 running at 3.2 was faster than my q6600 at 3.6.

Going quad would save you a bunch of money. You would only need a mb and cpu you could reuse your ram assuming you do not get a board that requires ddr3.

An i7 would be more expensive because you need mb, cpu and RAM and they are all rather expensive at the moment. With that said you would have the ability to upgrade later as you would have the latest intel socket (1336) and performace in much better.

Another option for you would be an AMD phenom 2 and all you would have to do is get the chip and flash your bios for chip support. I make this recommendation assuming you are discussing upgrading the system in your sig.

Going quad would save you a bunch of money. You would only need a mb and cpu you could reuse your ram assuming you do not get a board that requires ddr3.

An i7 would be more expensive because you need mb, cpu and RAM and they are all rather expensive at the moment. With that said you would have the ability to upgrade later as you would have the latest intel socket (1336) and performace in much better.

Another option for you would be an AMD phenom 2 and all you would have to do is get the chip and flash your bios for chip support. I make this recommendation assuming you are discussing upgrading the system in your sig.

sig is sold thats why im thinking of building a new system
I guess ill wait and see how low the i7 will get or try to snatch a nice deal on a mobo and i7, ram is expensive too lol

sig is sold thats why im thinking of building a new system
I guess ill wait and see how low the i7 will get or try to snatch a nice deal on a mobo and i7, ram is expensive too lol

3 gigs of DDR3 1600 can be found for less than 100 bucks on newegg, and you can find an i7 920 for like 230 I think at microcenter. The mobo + CPU + RAM will come out a bit more expensive than the C2Q setup, but as veedub said, it's worth it. Plus it'll take several more years to become outdated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom