PC won't bootup to windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

badvibe

Solid State Member
I posted a thread about this before but can't find it now. Issue is this. I have a ASUS P5Q SE/R MOBO, Intel P4 3.2 ghz, westgate 320 GB HD SATA drive. Running XP PRo. System was working fine for a while. Now when system gets to Windows boot screen, PC automatically reboots itself and continues to do this until power is turned off. I tried booting in all modes with same result. Also tried booting with just HD connected, got same result. It was suggested that I should try a Windows repair with disc. When I hit f3 to bring up the recovery console, it said that it could not :(detect the hard drive and to check power to HD etc.. I have no idea what to do next. Please chime in if u have a suggestion. Thanks.

Do not press F3 when doing a repair. When you press F3 it takes you to the command prompt. You actually want to continue in that same screen. Then it will bring you to a screen that will show what partitions / installations you have. Then you highlight the OS (obviously an XP one) and press R on it.

This is probably the best tutorial IMO:
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

I didn't press f3. I pressed R to go to repair console and discribed in the article u sent. Thats the 1 I've been using. Thanks for the reply.

I goofed. When I was doing the repair I pressed R to bring up the repair console. That was when I got the message that the HD could not be found. I read the tutorial more closely. LOL and tried to do another repair. Now PC will not bring up the content on the Windows CD.

You should back up your data if you can and try a system restore. although i dont know if you can do this from the command prompt when you hit f3. If you can get your hands on a vista disk you can try it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom