Do I Need a new PSU? Or a New OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobDude

Beta member
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I'm on the verge of buying a new power supply....but I'm not 100% certain that's what's going on.

Here's the situation:

When my computer is turned on - I have no problems at all. It will run and run for hours. To me, this would suggest my power supply is fine.

But, when I shut down my PC or when Vista goes into 'sleep' mode or whatever it is and I come back to the PC - it won't 'wake up' or turn on. So, in frustration, I've smacked the case (where the PSU is) and the lights on the keyboard will flash on for a second and then I can press the power button and it turns on.

The only explanation I could come up with a bad connection or a short or something and smacking it knocks it all 'into place' again; but it never dies or stops working while it's running - it just has trouble turning on or waking.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what I should do?

Open up the case and make sure all connections are secure. Also if you have not done it recently dust it out with some compressed air.

Components like hard drives, optical drives, and fans require significantly more power to initially start.

Don't rule out a PSU so soon. PSU problems can be very random, very silly, and sometimes make little sense.

I doubt you have a loose connection, since the connections fit so snug that they're either in or not, but you can check I guess.

I'm going to guess either PSU or motherboard.

^ some connects do not fit snugly, and could have slowly vibrated loose (such as an hdd power cable) or it could just be connected in a bad way that does not make a solid connection. Although you are correct, psu problems usually are sporadic and unpredictable. But i would do what i said in my first post before making the problem so absolute.

All vital connections are very solid. The 20+4 pin ATX connector is, in my experiences, quite snug. The 4/8 pin CPU connector has a clasp, as does the 6/8 pin PCI-e connectors. This is all you need to turn the PC on.

^ not all connections in every computer for every brand are "always" snug...but that is besides the point, they could not have been connected properly in the first place. Also like i said, they could have a bad connection.

There is no need to jump to things without eliminating variables. That would be like buying a new computer because the screen flickered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom