system is not displaying to monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
Alright, I just built this pc, and, when I turn it on, the monitor does not pick it up. I have connected and reconnected both ends of the DVI cable (that is the big white one right?), but it still doesn't work.

All the fans are going, and lights are on on both the video and sound card. The light on the front is on as well. I can use the dvd drive on the front, but, oddly, I can turn the pc on with the power button, but it doesn't do anything when I try to turn it off. I have to flip the switch on the psu.

Something to note on the gfx card, there are 2 6-pin connectors and then a 2-pin connector. I hooked my psu into the 2 6-pins, but I didn't hook anything into the two pin connector. I thought this might have been for sli or something (edit: I guess the 2-pin thing is for audio). I don't know if this is the problem or not, but I don't know what I would hook in there. Would it be better to use the power adapter things that came with the card and attach the big white power cable ends to those instead of the 6-pins, or should this not make a difference? Also worthy of note, I first had the graphics card in the outer slot, the one closest to the psu, but then I moved it to the middle slot because I couldn't fit everything in there. Would it help to move it to the slot closest to the cpu?

If anyone knows what's going on here, pls tell me. I really would appreciate some help :)

Oh yeah:

Cpu: i7 920
Gpu: gtx 285
Psu: the 750W red one from pc p&c
mobo: Asus P6T x58
sound card: x-fi xtreme gamer
ram: 6 GB gskill 8-8-8-21 1.6-1.65V
cpu cooler: thermaltake ultra 120 extreme
Case: Antec 900

I really hope this isn't a cpu issue :(
Could it be something with the monitor? When I turn it on, it switches between digital and analog in the upper left then goes to analog and says check connections. The analog cables would be the smaller ones, right? I've got small blue cables and big white ones, and I am using the big white ones. Aren't these digital?

Try with just one stick of ram to start. analog is the blue cable, digital are the white ones.

Also reseat everything and re plug in all of your power connections.

Did you connect the extra power connector to the motherboard?

What do you mean by extra connector?

Should I move the gpu over to the pcie slot closest to the cpu? It is a blue slot, just like the slot it is in now. The slot farthest over is a white slot, but I couldn't connect all the cables when it was over there.

Oh btw, the light on the sound card is red if that is bad.

Yeah, I'll try the ram thing if all else fails.

That board has the standard 24 pin power connection and a 4 pin power connection on the left side of the board. That is the extra one I am talking about. I would try the gpu in the slot closest to the cpu as well.

When you say left...

dvd drive and hdd up here

Ok, thanks. That solved the problem where I couldn't use the power button to turn off the system, but the monitor is still not getting a signal. I"ll try the ram thing, but I don't think that is it because I followed the directions the mobo gave me. Then again, every time I have ever dealt with ram, it has not worked properly the first time.

orange: ram
black: empty

cpu

Well, I guess the oranges are red in that pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom