Should I overclock my core 2 duo e7200 more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: need help with problem with overclock e7200

Core temp reports a load temp of 53C at 1.35Vcore. (1.29vcore cpuz) I'm pretty sure i'm stable at this point. Now I could either back off to 1.34 and see how that goes or stay here. I may just stay at the 1.35 setting because Tom's Hardware is using the exact same FSB setting and has the same vdroop. However, Tom's vcore sounds arbitrary from reading the guide. It sounds like the 1.35vcore was the first they tried. I don't want to have a vcore that is higher than needed, but I don't think that 1.35 is really a problem.

I used large fft in P95. I am now running occt for two hours. I could probably run OCCT forever at 1.325vcore without a problem, but my IE errors would likely return. I haven't had any IE problems from 1.34vs up.

Core temp reports a load temp of 53C at 1.35Vcore. (1.29vcore cpuz) I'm pretty sure i'm stable at this point. Now I could either back off to 1.34 and see how that goes or stay here. I may just stay at the 1.35 setting because Tom's Hardware is using the exact same FSB setting and has the same vdroop. I don't want to have a vcore that is higher than needed, but I don't think that 1.35 is really a problem.

No, your voltage is okay. I meant you should try lowering the frequency of your CPU to see if things stabilize. If things stabilize then the problem is probably with your CPU. If not, then your problem is most likely somewhere else.

It was also suggested a few posts back that you try Firefox to see if you still have problems. Give that a shot if you haven't already.

Also, unless you're using the exact same hardware (mobo, cpu cooler, cpu batch #, RAM, etc.) then your overclock will probably be different than the setup at TH.

For instance, at first I was running my E7200 on a DFI DK X48-T2RSB Plus motherboard that only needed 1.296vcore (before vdroop) to be stable at 3.8GHz. I could even run my timings at 4-4-5-11 @ 2.17v.

On my new mobo DFI LT X48-T2R, I had to up my voltage to 1.312 (before vdroop--@.016v) to be stable. Running my timings any tighter than 5-5-4-12 @ 2.19v results in IE/Firefox/CPU-Z crashes/freezes.

EDIT: Saw you edit on IE.

If TF2 is slowing down your comp, maybe check drivers, or better yet do a uninstall/reinstall when your system is not overclocked to see if problems persist. If you installed on overclock maybe something got corrupted?

Sorry I can't be more help on the software end.

EDIT2:

Also you mentioned you had vdroop settings off?

If you disabled a vdroop control setting that helped keep vdroop to a minimum then it might explain your .03 vdroop.

I looked into the bios settings I turned off. Neither of them, either EIST and C1e, should in fact be on. I appreciate your help by the way. I'm not sure whether or not stability at or past 1.3375vcore differs in any way, and any perceived difference at these various volts could just be my naroticism kicking in at this point, but there's probably not that big of a difference in the strain that the hardware is put under at 1.3375v-1.35v, so i'll try not to obsess over it.

I looked into the bios settings I turned off. Neither of them, either EIST and C1e, should in fact be on. I appreciate your help by the way. I'm not sure whether or not stability at or past 1.3375vcore differs in any way, and any perceived difference at these various volts could just be my naroticism kicking in at this point, but there's probably not that big of a difference in the strain that the hardware is put under at 1.3375v-1.35v, so i'll try not to obsess over it.

Yeah, temps shouldn't be much of a concern if you're only going a bit higher on voltage.

Keep an eye on them though. If using Real Temp, it's always best to keep a good 30 points--at least--from Tjmax.

Yea, keep an eye on the temps, but you should be alright. Maybe run another stress test to be safe.

E7200 Overclocked from 3.6ghz to 3.8ghz. Is it worth the added risk?

Went from:

3.64ghz @ 383FSB
5:6 FSB:RAM
1.34vcore (bios), 1.31vcore (cpuz)
53C Load

to

3.84ghz @ 404FSB
1:1 FSB:RAM
1.38vcore (bios), 1.36vcore (cpuz)
57C load.

All seems stable on the home front. Since my vcore in cpuz is less than the absolute max vcore recommendation from Intel I might stick with the new setting despite having to up the voltage by a whole bunch. Age of Conan is one heck of a demanding game.

EDIT: I think I'm going to stay at 3.6. 57C load is kind of high for winter. I don't really think the performance gain is worth the trouble.

Actually, I think I may stay at the 3.8 ghz overclock. At a 79F ambient temperature the max load temp is 59C. Is it foolish to raise the load temp 6C to get this boost in performance? (from 3.64ghz-3.84ghz and from 5:6 FSB:RAM to 1:1) I don't know, but my 3dmark06 score went up by about 500 points.

59°C isn't horrible as a max temp.

Although, keep in mind that something like Linpack/IBT will run you up another 15°-20°C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom