RMA question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
Well, I just bought one of these:

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

I've just started building my first pc, and when I open the box containing that, like 10 thousand wires explode into my face. I'm just like, nah man. I already wasn't too happy with the color of it. I just bought it because it was a good price. Would they take it back after I already opened it? I'm thinking of just getting one of these:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Oh yeah, on a side note, have a look at the fifth video on this page (only like a minute long or something): Processor and Heatsink Installation Videos @ AMD.com

It says I'm supposed to use a thermal pad, not thermal paste?

and then sending the red one back after this comes so I can at least use my computer until then. Will they let me do this? What I mean by that is, will they know that it's been used? Also, the 750 tx would have a lot less wires, right?

I'm pretty sure that they will take it back even though you have already opened it, depending on the Egg's mood, they may or may not charge you a 15% restocking fee, and if you going to get the Corsair, I would just say stay with the PCPC one, since neither is modular, so you will have a crap load of wires no matter what, unless you are good at keeping em hidden (something I fail at) if you looking for something that allows you to have a little less than 10 thousand exploding wires ;) you can get this power supply by corsair, or just any modular power supply in general, I have a Thermaltake 650W and it's pretty good on the wires. Also on the Thermalpad vs. Thermalpaste note, I don't think I've ever seen a thermal pad used on a CPU since the long ago days of B4 skt 775

So then, if I want less wires, I have to settle with less power for the price?

Also, what side should the fan be on (case wall side or inside case side) on my thermaltake ultra 120 extreme?

have you looked at the pictures for the 750TX?

no? here
17-139-006-07.jpg

just as many wires

if you want less wires, look for MODULAR units

So then, if I want less wires, I have to settle with less power for the price?

Also, what side should the fan be on (case wall side or inside case side) on my thermaltake ultra 120 extreme?

Not necessarily, you can find pretty cheap modular units that perform well, I personally have a Thermaltake Toughpower series PS, you can get a 750W one for probably close to $120 if you wanted, and about the fan, use your own judgment, if you have a vent at the end of your case, then put it outwards the case, but either way, it depends on how you set up the fan, you should usually set up the fan to blow OUT of the case, and not suck in from outside, if that clears it up.

So the fan on there will blow into the cooler and out that way? If that is the case, it would be good to have it inside. However, if it is going to suck the air out of the cooler (this seems unlikely to me) then I would put it on the outside. I have an antec 900, so it is like a giant vent almost. There is a fan right opposite it anyway, so it'll probably blow the hot air that way, and then the other fan will suck it out if I am correct.

So thermaltake makes good psu's too? It seems like everyone here is for antec, corsair, or pc power and cooling.

Well, I finished my build. However, some things didn't work out according to how my mobo's manual said they would. Apparently I was supposed to attach a four-pinned cpu fan cable to a site (I forget what they're called all of a sudden) in the middle left, but since I got an aftermarket cpu-cooler, it is 3 pin. I then attached it to a connector that was three pin in the middleish right. My mobo had designated that spot for a side fan, but all of my side fans have those big black four pin connectors that you have to hook into the psu. I guess you have to open up the case and adjust them that way if you have to. That is kinda dumb, but that is how it is setup. (I have the Antec 900 and ASUS P6T x58 btw)

Also, I got these two little connector things, one white and one blue. The white one I hooked up and had to hook up three really small cords to it and then plug it into the mobo. One was ground/reset, one was power sw, and the third one was ide led, but I only had like and hd or hdd (I forget) led, so I hooked that up to it. The blue one is smaller, and I still don't know what to do with it. It looked like it had some numbers and stuff on it like 5v and some other stuff.

That guide for building pc's on this forums said that you were supposed to hook the psu up to the mobo with more than just the main cord, but I didn't see a way unless I would take up a thing my mobo designated as a fan slot. Should I plug into it?

I know that looks like a giant wall of text (I split it up a little now), but I would greatly appreciate help. I'm going to attempt to turn this thing on after a nap. Thanks if advance. I can't wait to get this thing running! :)

If memory serves me correctly you can plug the female 3 pin off the fan onto the mobo 4 pin supply. The designated cpu fan supply will regulate fan speed so that it lowers when you don't need it. Othewise it will run full out all the time. Not a big deal but is extra noise. Yeah, you'll need an adapter to plug the antec fans into the mobo. I always use the psu 4 pin molex, 2-3 fans into each. Makes for better wire management tucking them away somewhere.

There is a 4 pin power connection on the motherboard north of the cpu at the edge of the board, it's white, you can see it on the image here:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Top right corner between the two blue heatsinks.

Ok, where do I get these adapters, and will it be bad if I try to turn it on with them just attached to the psu?

Also, any idea about that small blue connector?

Edit: I guess the blue thing is for usb, but my connector went in fine without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom