Windows will not load completely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hookster264

In Runtime
I just moved to a new place. I set my computer back up and went to power it on but now it won't load Windows completely.

It makes a successful POST and starts to load Windows, but just as the Welcome screen begins to appear the computer automatically reboots... Just before it does this though it displays a blue screen with white text. It is only on screen for a fraction of a second so I can't read what it says.

It occaisonally performs a checkdisc on each drive and each completes successfully.

Once it did prompt for the load Windows normally option... and I chose use last known configuration hoping it would fix the issue, but no success.

I blew out the few traces of dust in the case, tried reseatting my video card and RAM and I even cleared the CMOS, but this didn't fix it either.

Could it be my HDD going bad???

My stats are:

Mobo: XFX nForce 590 SLI
CPU: AMD 64x2 3600+ Brisbane
RAM: 2x1Gb G.Skill HZs
HDD: WD 250Gb 7200 SATA
VID: Evga GeForce 8600GT

After POST, get to the advanced boot options (same place you go to go to safe mode) by pressing F8 before the Windows loading screen. Should be an option to disable automatic system restart; select that option and let us know what the BSOD STOP error code is, as well as the white text at the top (i.e. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL).

Can also check here to find out for yourself what the code means: http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/how-troubleshoot-specific-stop-errors-193301/

sounds like it could be bad ram? or overheating. check the heatsinks since it was being moved around one could have gotten loose.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I was able to get into the BIOS. I reset all to default figuring it might be an unstable oc'. While there I also checked the system temps and all were reasonable.

I will check the BSOD STOP error code and see if that helps. I'm thinking it will. Thanks for link as well.

Okay, so this is what I'm getting:
0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0X8054B16A, 0XAC7C8684, 0X00000000)

Per the MSDN link that Private Joker provided it says:

Bug Check 0x8E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

The KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check has a value of 0x0000008E. This bug check indicates that a kernel-mode application generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.

Cause

The KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check is a very common bug check. To interpret it, you must identify which exception was generated.

Common exception codes include the following:

* 0x80000002: STATUS_DATATYPE_MISALIGNMENT indicates that an unaligned data reference was encountered.
* 0x80000003: STATUS_BREAKPOINT indicates that a breakpoint or ASSERT was encountered when no kernel debugger was attached to the system.
* 0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates that a memory access violation occurred.

Resolving the Problem:

* Make sure you have enough disk space.
* If a driver is identified in the bug check message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates.
* Try changing video adapters.
* Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates.
* Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
Or
* Hardware incompatibility. Make sure that any new hardware installed is listed in the Microsoft Windows Marketplace Tested Products List.
* Faulty device driver or system service. A faulty device driver or system service might be responsible for this error. Hardware issues, such as BIOS incompatibilities, memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate this error.

My thoughts on a solution:
The STOP error is indicating a memory issue. I currently have 3 sticks of 1Gb DIMM. I have a 4th prepared for RMA. I'm going to remove the one odd stick and try again.

I removed my third DIMM and my computer booted successfully. Why is it then that I have been running on 3 sticks for almost 6 months, but now it decides to have problems? Do I really need more than 2 Gb RAM when operating Windows XP Home 32bit?

The moive could have giggled it.

I had the same type reboot when my cd drivve cable was wiggled out abit.

What size vid card? as no, 2 gigs is plenty for xp, and if your vid card is big enough, it eats into the extra.. or something to that extent.

I checked all cables and reseated the vid card. It's only a 256 MB card. I guess I'll be happy with my 2Gb stable configuration. I don't need a third stick if it's going to cause problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom