Q9550 OEM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Very quick and simple question, i plan on buying the Q9550 OEM cpu, obviously it doesn't come with heatsink and fan, so would my stock heat sink and fan that came with my E6850 be sufficient ?

I would stay on the safe side, and go ahead and get a cooler, or even upgrade to retail. Unless you got lucky, and your current fan keeps temperatures REALLY low. Cooling a dual core is much easier than cooling a quad core.

The retail is £30more than the OEM, so im figuring a oem + a £30 cooler will be quite a bit better ;)

Thanks, so now the next question, which cooler ? I best check while i'm here, it will work with the mobo in my sig won't it...?

I'm doing the same upgrade as you from the E6850 to the Q9550 however I didn't find the OEM so I went retail, However I ordered a Rosewill RCX-Z775-EX 92mm for a new fan, I'm going to give the new intel fan to a friend that's buying the E6850 from me and keep the one in my system for an extra. I want to keep the quad core cool.

Dauntae

Okay now i'm worried about my PSU. My E6850 uses like 90w under load, i seem to remember seeing a review where the Q9550 used more than this while idle, and a lot more when under strain, my PSU is some £25 ok 600W PSU, nothing special - it's been faultless on my current rig but being a fairly cheep PSU im not sure what another 100w+ load would do to it.

If you have the funds, it may be in your best interest to get a better PSU, not necessarily one with more wattage, but one with a better rep. I don't know if yours is a bad brand or a good brand, but if you're concerned give us the make and model of it, and we can help you decide whether to keep it or not. Depending on how you overclock/if you overclock, you should be fine.

I dunno...someone on here has a 4830 xfire setup on a 380watt PSU...so i'm sure yours could handle a single card n a quad. Unless it's a crap brand i wouldn't worry about it

£25 isn't really enough for a 600W PSU it might be worth leaving it and only changing it out if it doesn't work - but that depends on how attached you are to this PSU and whether you think saving on a PSU now and possibly spending on the delivery for a new one is worth it.

I'll see how this goes, worst comes to worse my PC won't launch when i install it and i can order a good one and have it here the next morning.

The brand of the PSU ? it's basicly this, it's the same price and some cheep chinese manufacturer (although not under the same brand name) Arctic Power 600W PSU - With PCI-E, 3x SATA, 20+4, ATX12V, 8pin +12V Connectors - Retail Boxed - Ebuyer

The reason i bought a cheep PSU is simple, i would rather spend the money on better PC parts, and secondly, while i have known of these horror stories about cheep PSU's bla bla.. so far for me they run just as well as an expensive PSU - so i see no point, once a cheep PSU has drastically failed me - then i will get a better one. Before i ran a 8800GTS and E6300 etc on a 300W Extra Value PSU for over a year before i upgraded, never had a single problem.

So while i allways have my suspisions about whether my PC is going to work with these cheep PSU's, so far, i've had not a single problem. No need to waste money when it's unneccesary ;)

This is a similar situation to people when they get off road cars, they follow the trend and upgrade them with big wide beefy tyres. While this is good, cheeper thinner tyres actually work much better on mud and dirt. People don't know this because they have never tried, they just hear everyone say "thin tyres and you get stuck" it's just not true for 95percent of the time, i think it's similar to this, in the fact everyone hears each other saying you need an expensive PSU when actually 95percent of the time a cheep PSU is fine :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom