Beta member
4 years ago i built my first pc

P4 2.0 Ghz
Shuttle AV42 mainboard
mid tower ATX case with led fans
1 GB ddr sdram
geforce 5200 agp card
500 watt power supply

it's been a great solid rigg but it's getting seriously out dated and i was thinking of upgrading. when i started looking around i realized i have been way out of touch with the computer world and now i'm a bit unsure what to do. do i gut most of what i have and replace what i cant use or just start all from scratch? i was thinking i could just change my mobo processor and RAM but then i realized that eide isn't standard anymore and my hard drive and optical drives are all eide. most of the mobo's i look at only have one eide slot and the rest is sata. then there's the fact that agp is out the door now with PCI-E taking over. anyway i was wondering what you guys thought would be my best bet. i'm not a hardcore gamer but i do like to game some, and i like it to be smooth with good graghics. my wife does some picture editing and surfs the web like crazy and my daughter does the whole i-tunes mp3 thing. i was thinking of an asus m3a78 board with a phenom 8650+ 2.3 Ghz triple core or is that overkill? like i said i dont have a clue anymore. also how many watt psu is necessary now? any help would be great.

Depends on what you want to do.

Specifically what games you Do want to play..

But yea, you will probably need at least 600-700 hundred for a new build.

Its only worth it to upgrade a system every 6 months to 2 years, nothing older than that..

Edit, if you put in about 800 plus 200-300 for a nice moniter that could last you another few years. Even longer if you upgrade single parts every so often.

i like playing RPG games and the call of duty games, and i'd like to get into the crysis games but i can't play them now. i could keep my case and power supply but i dont know what else i could keep. it sucks because this rig has been so good to me and still is, just outdated.

would i be able to plug my old ata hd in the 1 ata100 spot on a new mobo? and if i did would there be conflicts moving my old hd with my OS on it and using it as my hd? i just really dont feel like saving all my files and stuff and wiping it clean you know what i mean?

You will not be able to use that PSU in a new build because it will probably only have the old 20 pin motherboard plug. TBH I wouldn't bother trying to salvage anything from the old machine - you said yourself it is a great machine just outdated. So why not leave that one for your wife's browsing and you get yourself a nice gaming machine (crysis requires some powerful HW). That way you don't have to mess with what works only to get maybe an optical drive and HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom