please give me some advice/opinions on this i7 920 build I want to get

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty set and decided on what parts I want for my i7 920 PC, but now I'm kinda unsure about the case. (and still not sure whether to get the Corsair 750W or 1000W PSU)
I was gonna get a Cooler Master HAF932, it got great reviews, but someone in another forum told me it might be too noisy if I want to use it for music recording, since it's not a silent case.

Any of you who have the HAF932: is it very noisy?

I don't know how much noise that HAF would make, if it's just a little hum from the fans I guess that would not be such a big deal?!

Any thoughts on this?
Any alternatives for a case more silent?
Or would that HAF932 be fine?

I'm starting to lose patience with myself, since I keep reconsidering things and overcomplicating the process of deciding what parts to get.

Two more things I would like to aks you guys: should I get a Corsair 1000W or 750W PSU for my build? Keep in mind I do want to leave some headroom for future upgrades.

Should I get the RAM I listed or should I just grab the 1333MHz equivalent?

My dilemma on the case went into a new thread;)

Stick with the ram you already listed and get the Corsair 850W power supply and you will be fine for future upgrades.

Thanks, man!

The store where I will porbably end up orderign at does not have the Corsair 850W:freak:, they only have the 750W and the 1000W.
Would the 750W be fine for future upgrades as well, or should I just go for the 1000W if I can't get the 850W?

TweakGuides.com - Hardware Confusion 2009

this guy just build a system with the same processor and motherboard, his price range is about what yours is, he has a hardware guide that I linked that you would probably find useful/interesting.

good luck & nice looking build.

Thanks a lot ! Indeed, very useful ! I'm getting more condfident with the thought of building the rig myself. So much help and information available on the internet. You guys on this forum are great! Thanks so much !:)

OK, now I made some small changes to my list, just downgraded them RAM (from 1600MHz to 1333MHz) and the PSU (from 1000W to 750W):

So, as of now, the build is going to be:

Intel Core i7 920 Boxed
Asus P6T Deluxe
Coolermaster HAF 932
2x Samsung SH-223F SATA
Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333Mhz XMS3 Triple Channel
2x WD 1TB Sata II 32MB WD10EADS
Corsair 750W ATX
Sapphire 1GB HD4870 PCI-E

Look good?

Since I will be running Win XP32bit (due to compatibility with music hardware and sequencing software), should I get 3GB of triple channel RAM at 1333MHz instead ? Or should I evne stick with what I had originally (&GB at 1600MHz)?

Also still a bit worried about the PSU? Would 750 still leave enough upgrade-room for the future? (the store does not have the 850W Corsair, next bigger one would be the 1000W)

Will the i7 be fine with the stock cooler or do I need an extra cooler for it?

Look good?

Since I will be running Win XP32bit (due to compatibility with music hardware and sequencing software), should I get 3GB of triple channel RAM at 1333MHz instead ? Or should I evne stick with what I had originally (&GB at 1600MHz)?

Also still a bit worried about the PSU? Would 750 still leave enough upgrade-room for the future? (the store does not have the 850W Corsair, next bigger one would be the 1000W)

Will the i7 be fine with the stock cooler or do I need an extra cooler for it?

1GB HD4870 is rated below GTX 285 in tweakguides and here http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-card-rankings-139202/ so I'd go with the 285. 4870 seems good too though, just read up b4 choosing.

I would stick with 4-6gh of 1333MHz RAM myself. If you use particular audio software that isn't 64bit compatible, surely it will be within a couple of years and I'm sure you plan on using this pc longer than a year or two, so I'd get plenty of ram, 1333MHz will be fine.

Stock i7 cooler is good and what would you need to upgrade that would warrant more than a 750 watt psu?

1GB HD4870 is rated below GTX 285 in tweakguides and here http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-card-rankings-139202/ so I'd go with the 285. 4870 seems good too though, just read up b4 choosing.

I would stick with 4-6gh of 1333MHz RAM myself. If you use particular audio software that isn't 64bit compatible, surely it will be within a couple of years and I'm sure you plan on using this pc longer than a year or two, so I'd get plenty of ram, 1333MHz will be fine.

Stock i7 cooler is good and what would you need to upgrade that would warrant more than a 750 watt psu?

Thanks !

But the GTX 285 is a lot more $, too, right?
They are not the same price range.

I thought I wanted to be able to maybe upgrade later to a 2nd graphics card if I ever choose to go that path. It would be annoying then having to get a new PSU as well.
Would the Corsair 750W still be fine for that?

Yea, the corsair 750 can easily power 4870 1Gb in crossfire. You should also get a 3x1Gb set set of ram since you'll be running Windows XP 32bit. This is good ram:
Newegg.com - OCZ 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Thanks !

I figured I'd stick with 6GB, because I will probably at some point upgrade to 64bit (when all the music sequencing software as well as the audio interface manufacturers are up to date with 64 bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom