Exceed the Max. amount of RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoodleKnight

Baseband Member
Hello,

Is it possible to exceed the pre-defined max amount of RAM installed in a computer. I have an old Sony VAIO which can only support up to 512 RAM max, currently it has 2 sticks of 64, so 128/512 so far. If I was to add in two sticks of 256, which puts it at 640/512. Would that cause problems with the computer, or will it only just detect and use up to 512 megs?

Thanks for any help in advance

uhh... 256x2 is 512...

edit: sry, didnt realise what u meant. do u even have 4 slots? i dout a old viao has 4 slots. if so, i dont think u can

continuity sticks? ...correct me if im rong, but does that mean your using RDram /rambus?

i doubt that u are, but if so.. RD ram has to be added in equal pairs.

i dont know, but i would guess that exceeding the Max amount would prolly just cause your system to run slower, and it wouldnt detect it all.

I am using rambus, its old =P

And I will upgrade in pairs, which is why I want to find out if i can pass that limit to get the max 512 ram support.

maybe u should check your motherbourds instruction book.. or there web site, if u dont have a book.

i dont know anything about rambus, but chances are, if your bourd is that old, and cause its rambus... u might need to use 4x of 128mb dimms, to reach the 512 limit (maybe- remember im just guessing) u might definately wont to find out though b4 u upgrade.

o yea, and since its rambus, u would prolly have more problems if u exceeded the ram limit, then if it was just RD or DDR (im guessing)

I have 2x256 sticks of Rambus in my home system PC 1066.
I like the Rambus memory its very fast but expensive.Check and at www.sony.com. for the limits on the memory.Dont exceed that limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom