Should I go with AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD = Another Major Disaster. Stick with Intel.
It would be a huge disaster if people didn't buy AMD. Who would want Intel to be the only company available, and charge people $200 for a Celeron?
Didn't notice this got more replies, thanks. My bro got his taxes today, so I'll be ordering the parts very soon today. Quick CPU question before I order, the 5400+ BE isn't there anymore, but I saw that this available now Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops how would that compare to my original choice Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops ? The BE is just .3ghz slower, but is 65nm(better?), has L3 Cache(better?), has a higher HT 3600mhz, comes with heatsink and is slightly cheaper. - No overclocking will be done on this PC.
the X2 7750 is based on the K10 architecture. the 5400+ BE and 6000+ are both based on the K8 architecture.
Basically, K10 is faster at the same clock speed.

Cool, thanks, I went with the 7750. Just ordered the parts about 20 mins ago, debit card charged! I'm stoked to see how fast this computer will be compared to the pc I built 3 years ago next month.

Parts arrived today!

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4080/dscn0876sc7.jpg

final build:
Thermaltake M9
19" widescreen hanns G
antec neo power 500w
lite-on dvd/cd burner
g.skill 4gb(2x2gb) 1066 ram
500gb west digi
biostar tf720 mobo
amd 7750 kuma 2.7ghz
evga 9400gt - upgrading card in the summer.
logitech speakers 2.1, keyboard, mx518

currently painting my room so the build will have to wait for a couple hours. i'll throw up a pic of it built later tonight most likely.

Which means Deneb and Kuma will work fine. Deneb uses a lot less power than their TDP.

You mean Heka right? As well as the 925.

Don't even consider Kuma this time around. There are much better alternatives at about the same cost. The X3 710 will oc like Kuma and outperform it by quite a bit.

yes you can still get xp OS, but a 32-bit OS (as I have 4gigs ram) will ony see 2.75-3. Someone plz correct me here but I think the gpu driver needs to match the OS in bits, and does one need to stay Intel cpu w/ nvidia gpu's. and. Amd cpu w/ ati gpu?

That too.
But the 125W TDP Deneb's actually use around 70-75W or so.

If the chip was rated at 125 watts then I wouldn't risk it on a board that only supports up to 95 watt chips.

X4 810 is a 95 watt Quad, but considering the 920 is about the same price with 6MB cache instead of 4 and overclocks higher. Then its kind of a useless chip.

He COULD wait for 925, but that won't be until like next April.

So his best option is the X3 720 ;)

If the chip was rated at 125 watts then I wouldn't risk it on a board that only supports up to 95 watt chips.
you don't understand; TDP doesn't tell you how many watts it consumes. It's used to suggest what sort of cooling you should use.
the TDP is rated higher than it needs to be, so that adequate cooling should easily be provided when OEM's build systems with the chips.

The amount of watts the 940 consumes is far less than 125W, and significantly less than 95W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom