Whats this new machine worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Market Share:

Dell 32%
HP 25%

Based solely on Market Share 1 in 3 computers into your store should be Dells with 1 in 4 being HP. With the remaining 42% from other companies with 6% of that number from apple.

Now it is possible that more than 32% of your computers to be fixed are dells which could be due to randomness and not statistically significant.

I am in no way defending Dell I just like hard facts and statistical tests (preferably a chi-squared) to prove a statement like Dell's break down more than other brands.

I would say at least 50% of the computers that we fix are dells. I'm just going by our experience, not so much market share here.

And in my experience dealing with the shoddy workmanship from each company, Dells are by far the worst. Lest we forget shoddy proprietary parts...

It's just the fact of the business we did, and the opinion of myself and my experience, that's all. Dells, in general, suck.

I agree they pretty much suck. If your store did have 50% dell's then we could say for your store you fix more dells in relationship to market share with statistical significance (p-value < .05). Actual p-value = 0.000113983. Which means there is a 1 in 10,000 possibility that this occurred by chance. Again only valid for your store and your customer base.

I would love to get concrete stats from a random sample of repair shops to prove it for the whole US. That way when someone wants a dell we can shove statistics down their throats.

Well, I own a Dell XPS 710 which I purchased from the original buyer. I've had no problems with it whatsoever. I just purchased an XPS 730 with nearly 3 years left on the warranty, for $1100. It comes with a Q9550 cpu, 500gb HD, 9800GTX, 4gb of DDR3-1333, nForce 790i Ultra, X-FI XtremeMusic, 1000w psu, and Vista x64.

However, I do agree that Dell support is a joke, at best. Fortunately, I've never had to rely on Dell for anything because I service my own system.

I'm sure the higher end systems are made slightly better than the rest of the mainstream crap, but just because your Dell didn't crap out on you doesn't mean they're awesome.

Besides, I find that if people know what they're doing, they can take care of ANY machine just fine...though Dells are typically harder to care for if you ask me.

I'm sure the higher end systems are made slightly better than the rest of the mainstream crap, but just because your Dell didn't crap out on you doesn't mean they're awesome.

Besides, I find that if people know what they're doing, they can take care of ANY machine just fine...though Dells are typically harder to care for if you ask me.

Again, I agree. Dell doesn't burn any of their XPS systems in. There's no test period. In fact, I've read numerous accounts of people saying they spent $5000 only to receive their prime gaming rig D.O.A.. That would make me ready to kill someone. Dell builds the pc, installs the OS, boxes it up and sends it to you. Whether it works or not will be left for the consumer to find out. If you want to upgrade anything, and your pc is still under warranty, you must purchase the parts directly from Dell. Otherwise, if anything goes wrong with your rig, they won't give any support until you put THEIR hardware back in the case. So, you're pretty much stuck with what you get unless you're willing to shell out some major bones and pay double what you'd pay for the same hardware on an online retailer such as Newegg. This is especially true for myself. I called Dell wanting to upgrade to the X58 chipset and the 940 Nehalem and you won't believe the prices they quoted me...$600 for the mobo, which can be found for less than half that on Newegg...and $1400 for the cpu, which can be found on Newegg for under $600.

If Dell is going to rob people, they should at least use a effin gun!

Lol, yeah. For the cost they quoted you, you could get a 965 on newegg, lol. Or the 975 when it comes out.

Dells def. bite the big one BUT I would rather fix a Dell than a HP, HP likes to make a jigsaw puzzle out of there cases. I've fixed a couple of both that where out of warranty for people, and when they say it's a HP my skin crawls and I curl up in the corner saying RED ROOM RED ROOM :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Dauntae

The dell, you won't be able to upgrade it, dell is very strict about that.
The dell, will have a horrible PSU.
The dell, will have horrible memory.
The dell, will have a horrible case.
The dell, will have stock heatsink.
The dell, will have a horrible motherboard.
The dell, will have horrible support.
The dell, will ruin your life and make it a living ****.
The dell, isn't your own computer. You won't know it back to front.
The dell, will explode on you and they will say you did it. No refund.
The dell, will run worse then your own built.
The dell, will most likely come with a 32 bit OS.

Just build your own, you'll get more performance and you'll get to enjoy building it.
If you'd like for me to post a build, just let me know

I could have no have said it better myself. DO NOT BUY DELL.

On top of that, when you call up customer support and you want to speak to a english speaking person (not one with an indian accent) they charge you up the *** for that!

DeLL is a terrible company, go with HP if you're not going to build your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom