Vista sleep/hibernation issue, completely befuddled...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jello Man

Solid State Member
Hey,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A215-S5848 with Windows Vista Home Premium. For some reason, when i have the laptop plugged into it's power cable, when i close the lid, all it does is lock the laptop, it doesn't go into sleep mode like i have the power plan set to do. Only when i unplug the power cable and shut the lid, does it go into sleep mode. I have no idea why it does this, and occasionally when i hit the power button, which i have set to put the laptop into hibernate, and shut the lid, when i reboot, it says the system is booting from an unexpected shut down. I have done everything i can imagine to the power settings and nothing has worked. If anyone could give me some indight into why this is happening i would be ETERNALLY grateful.

This all has to do with the power scheme and what you have them set to.

Go to your power options through the control pannel.
Click change plan settings (whatever plan you want to use, i'd suggest balanced).
Click change advanced power settings.

Now use this screen to change what options you are wanting. So...
To ensure the computer goes into sleep when closing the lid click power buttons and lid, then lid close action and choose the correct setting. Make sure to change it both for plugged in and not plugged in.

When hitting the power button ensure it completely goes into hibernation before closing the lid. I assume it starts hibernating, but then messes up because you are closing the lit, which tells it to go into sleep mode. I've had the same issue before b/c i've turned off the computer before but then closed the lid, and i get that same message about windows not shutting down properly. Something to do with the conflict of power plans and the actions you are telling the computer to do.

Also ensure that you aren't changing power plans accidentally, so that the power options you THINK you have selected aren't correct because your power plan is different.

If you've already tried these or these steps don't work, then i'm at a loss.

Alright, well it seems that no matter what settings i have for lid and power button, when i have it on performance mode, it will not sleep when i close the lid. Either i switch to balanced and deal with some slowness, or i try and remember to switch power plans before it close my lid. Thanks for the suggestions, i wouldnt have thought to SWITCH power plans instead of just change it haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom