Computer keeps rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kahlil88

Baseband Member
I just built a computer from parts I bought on eBay and Craigslist, but it reboots every 3 seconds. I pulled the RAM, video card and modem from my old computer, so I'm fairly sure the problem isn't with any of these components. It's an ASUS P5K-E motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (45nm, might not be compatible with old BIOS). The CPU was brand new from eBay and the motherboard supposedly worked fine before I bought it on Craigslist.

It's just too bad I can't get the thing to boot to actually update the BIOS. I tried a different CPU (Pentium 4, 2.8GHz) that I know works for sure, but same problem.

I read on another forum that there are supposed to be two 4-pin connectors and both are only required for dual-core. I imagine the same rules would apply for quad-core, but I still had the problem when I tried using my friend's Pentium 4. CPU-Z identified it as the P4-520, which is supposed to be compatible with BIOS version 0201 and up.
I contacted the previous owner and he told me that it worked for him, but he had problems with certain RAM modules. My friend's RAM didn't make any difference, although I didn't try it with the other CPU.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the motherboard. Reboots like this are often signs of a weak / broken power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom