Do I need more Power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jg4064

Solid State Member
Ok folks, here is the situation.

Interrupted the flashing of my bios and now my mobo is screwed. Could probably just get a new bios chip from Intel but I figured that I would just upgrade since I was messing around in there anyway. Now I presently have an Intel D845bg mobo running a p4 2.0a gig 400fsb chip with 512 ddr 2100 ram. These also are hooked up:

Dvd drive
cdrw drive
3.5 floppy
100 gig hd
soundblaster live 5.1 card
networking card
firewire expansion card
Geforce 6800 non ultra non GT

This is all on a 300 watt power supply.

Now.....I found a good deal on an Asus P4S8X-X with a P4 2.4 gig w/ 533 FSB. I know that more power would be preferable, but right now the mobo and the chip are all that I can get. Will 300 watt be enough or should I expect to have problems. If problems are coming then please tell me what the minimum is that I could go up to and be happy.

Much thanks
JPG ----------------

Hey thanks for the link....but I'm a liittle confused when I plugged in the components of my former settup the result was a recommended 347 watts of power. The upgrade would drop that number by about 50 watts due to the northwood cpu not requiring as much juice as the 2 gig p4 that i had. Now I never had power problems before so does this mean that I should be in the clear with this upgrade?

Also, it says that the recommended wattage is for "peak" usage.....what specifically does that mean and is it all a likely hood in my setup.....oh and one last thing....is the chip I am going to a Northwood?

Much thanks
JPG--------------------

Yeah, I do believe that is a Northwood:confused:

And as for peak usage, that means when EVERY component is running at full load:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom