A complete PC build disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well everythings installed but dual channel mode isnt working. the mem sticks are in the right position and slots to activate it but it only shows 2gb instead of 4gb. whats going on there?

You sure you have 64bit vista? Also if you have 64bit vista you will need a patch that enables you to correctly use all 4gb of RAM or SP1 needs to be installed.

You sure you have 64bit vista? Also if you have 64bit vista you will need a patch that enables you to correctly use all 4gb of RAM or SP1 needs to be installed.

its definately 64bit vista and already have sp1. What kind of patch would i need to download? i have tested both mem sticks and they arent faulty.

Most people didn't need it unless they had an initial release of vista. Check in the BIOS to see if that sees both sticks of RAM, if not swap them into the next set of slots.

Most people didn't need it unless they had an initial release of vista. Check in the BIOS to see if that sees both sticks of RAM, if not swap them into the next set of slots.

I did that earlier in the evening but no joy unfortunately. it does recognise 4gb in single channel no probs. when in dual channel config though it only shows that theres 2gb of ram when theres 4gb set up.

Problem Solved! I checked the bios and there is biostar overclock section. in there i was able to adjust the ddr frequency to 1066mhz which is the right match for the dual channel kit, I reboot and hey presto it recognises 4gb and dual channel!:D
I have dbbl checked with cpuz id and it had confirmed. Only thing im still suspicious of is that cpuz says this is pc2-6400 when its actually pc2-8500. im not complaining though as they are both roughly running at 533mhz/534mhz on average each.
Id just like to say thankyou all for your help, you guys gave me some real pointers and it let to sorting the problems out with this troublesome pc and its helped me to not be afraid of fixing something without fear of breaking it! might just have a go at seeing how far I can overclock this thing, i only want to reach about 3ghz or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom