DVD Identity

Status
Not open for further replies.

caleb

Beta member
*First Post! Woohoo!*

This topic doesn't quite fit anywhere on this forum but this is the best place I could come up with so bear with me.

I'm a Computer Engineering student at the University of Pittsburgh and am working on a project to do with the networking of digital video. The wall I recently ran in to however, has to do with DVD security and privledges. My research thus far has turned up nothing so I thought I'd ask an army of people just like me.

The Burning Questions:

Do DVD's have any form of self-identity? (like a CD key for a software disc) I know dvd boxes have barcodes but I am fairly certain that's only for retail purposes and no data on the disc actually correlates to that code. I'm looking for a way to prove purchase and ownership of a disc so that it may be read and ripped legally and without fail. I know this can easily be done unofficially with most discs, but the fact that there are some distributers that protect discs from this makes it a failed venture for my class without a work around.

Any help or a point in the right direction would be incredibly appreciated!

This is a double edged sword. Cause yes. A DVD does have security on it. The thing is it can be gotten around as well. There are plenty of applications out there that will remove the Region coding and the security to allow for the DVD to be copied.

So no matter what you try there is going to be someone somewhere that will find a way around it. I mean even Blu-Ray encryption has been cracked now. No matter how many times they update and change the DVD Encryption that has been cracked.

There is no full proof way to have something on there that will prevent this from occurring.I mean you could put something on there that would require them to put in a serial code or something to play the DVD but if you think about it how many people are going to take the time. I know that when i put a DVD in my player i want it to play. I dont want to have to have the case with me and input a code to watch my movie.

There is nothing that can be protected this way. Everything has been cracked with enough dedication and knowledge. I know this isnt really what you wanted to hear. But it is the truth. The proof is out there.

Just look at the PC world. Windows with WGA, cracked almost the same day if not within a few hours.
OS X cracked to run on PC's.
Flaws found in almost every bit of software created.

Sorry to seem like i am raining on your parade here. But i am just presenting the truth.

The hardest aspect i see in your venture. The fact you want to rip it legally, without fail. Taking into account that user interaction would be required for that. There is no chance for 100% success rate all the time. There will always be that 1 person who cant do it or tries to do it on a system that cant or whose system is so corrupted that it gives out info on how you did allow for this to occur and cause it to be cracked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom