Start up issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnagnam

Solid State Member
Welp, I've been trying lots of forums and still stuck on this issue. Basically, I'm trying to start up a pc that I built back in 02 and haven't used it for years now.

Problem:
PC will power on for about 5 seconds before turning off. The fans, HD, and CDROM kick on for the 5 seconds theres power. During this time, there is no display, no beeps, nothing. I've also noticed the AGP card isn't running.

What I've tried:
-I've removed all the parts and inspected them and their contacts for any damage or corrosion.
-I've checked the battery.
-Checked all the cabling.
-I've taken parts out and then tried running it with no difference.

I kept out as much parts as I possibly can to make this as simple a setup as I can. I have a feeling its something with the mother board but I don't know any ways of testing this. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Possible PSU, mobo, AGP video card or RAM, I would disconnect everything and run each part by themselves at a time. Especially the RAM that could be causing no video problem or the AGP video card as well. PSU may be defective that is not giving enough power to your components, if you have another PSU from another computer try switchting them and see what happens. Check the mobo capacitors if they are not bulging, so right now your going to just do trial and error.

I used my meter to test the psu. I'm getting the right amount of readings. I also used another working psu as well just to be sure. I also tried running it without ram and I get a long beep, then it shuts off. I have two sticks of ram and tested it out with both giving the same results. What ways are there to test if its the agp card or if its the agp slot thats bad? I don't have any other cards to swap with

You could use another AGP card or a PCI card but since you don't have any, looks like a defective mobo since it is not accepting the charge to power on all components.

One thing I just did was check if the fan was getting power. Since it wasn't coming on in the first place I figured I wouldn't hurt anything disconnecting it to check the readings. When I powered the PC on, I was getting 12v at the fan connector. I'm not tech but, does that mean the graphics card is bad then? They don't seem all that expensive anyways but before I go and swap it out, I just want to make sure thats what the issue was.

*by fan I meant the fan on the agp card.

Most likely the card is bad along with the board but remember when you disconnect the card and it still did the same problem when it shut off, that is most likely the board. But if you still want to try another agp card go right ahead.

Ok. I went ahead and bought a new card for like $30 to test out. Now I get a long beep for 5 seconds then it shuts off. This happens with and without the hardware installed (just the mb,cpu,psu installed). Is there a way to isolate it to just the mb, or just the cpu?

As for the CPU to be the problem that is very rare to happen, most likely your looking at a mobo situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom