Baseband Member
First ill list my setup
gigabyte ep45-ud3r mother board
Intel core duo 3.16 e8500
4 gigs of g skill 1066 ram
500 watt thermaltake purepower supply
gforce 9800 gtx video card
DVD BURN LG|GH22LS30 22X LS SATA %
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

This is my first full build.

Next I will explain the problem that is happening.
Everything looks connected and set right so i decided it was time to test it out. Well I turned the back switch on (btw yes the power supply switch is set correctly) and then I hit the front button to try to boot up for the first time. All i got was a quick flash of lights maybe a slight movement in the fan blades. I tried a few times and then nothing. I turned off the power in the back and then back on and tried again same thing quick lights and movement.
So then I checked all my cables and it looked all fine. Everything that needed a plug had a plug. So just to make sure of a few things I unpluged everything BUT the main power supply to the motherboard. Same thing happened.
I am at a point of thinking it is not the power supply but something else. My thought is that the processor is not in right. The main reason for this is because I did have some problems with the heat fan of the processor but before I go taking that apart I want to see if the problem I had could actually cause what is happening to my computer.
I installed the chip in right it fit and seemed to be set correctly in the mold. The problem I had was putting in the fan. I of course applied thermopaste BUT the constant adjusting of the fan (to get it to actually fit and snap in right because it was a pain in the you know what to get this one in) could have caused it to be a bit messy. Now one of my questions is could thermopaste if leaked over the top of the processor cause this kind of problem? Any other suggestions on what the problem could be? Could it also be that I do not have enough power to run this?

do you have both the 24-pin and the 8-pin plugged in from your power supply to your motherboard.
If so, sounds like a power supply issue.

It is actually 4 pin connector which I did not notice that it was the 12v converter. I plugged it into the right set of the 8 point which is the only ones that it would fit into and got the same thing. And yes I have the 24 pin in

Are the standoff's screwed in on the bottom of the mobo? I had the same issue you had and i forgot to do that.

Are the standoff's screwed in on the bottom of the mobo? I had the same issue you had and i forgot to do that.

You are talking about the supports correct? Well my case had 6 lumps that assumed would work as them then you needed to use 3 of those standoffs for the right side of the board.

Yeah the lumps are the standoff's, possible PSU or MOBO from here. New parts can always come DOA. If everything is connected properly then i would assume MOBO/PSU which is the main components that would cause this issue.

Ya but how can I tell which it is so I can send it back?
BTW thx for the help.

One other thing could it also be that the processor is not in right or that (going back to my setup of a problem i had) that thermo got maybe down into the chipset?

If you have a higher Wattage PSU or another known good PSU i would give that a shot first and if not then send back the PSU or both if anything. No problem with the help ;)

only have a 450 watt that is installed into my older comp and taking that out would be a pain......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom