Upgrade Processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shan1784

In Runtime
Hey everyone,

I just upgraded my system and now am looking to my next upgrade to a new CPU... I've got a Q6600 which has been great, although it seems a little voltage hungry, but I want a more power.. I'm certain I want to stay with quad cores so I was looking at the Q9550 and Q9650 possibly the QX series if I could find one used for alot less than retail value...

I'm at 3.7 Ghz right now and really want to hit the 4.2+ Ghz mark on air... I don't want to go the i7 route yet as I want to wait until they come down in price and will do a total rebuild at that point...

I want something that will compliment my GTX295 well... It will be for gaming, and benchmarks mainly...

Any ideas would be appreciated...

I take it you're gaming? If so, you will barely notice any improvement going to a Q9550 or something along that line. I'm guessing your Q6600 has G0 stepping? That is still a very capable processor, you should just save your money for a completely new i7 build. Currently, they blow the Q9550 and QX series out of the water in performance.

So there isn't any benefit for my GTX295 to go from my Q6600 (it is GO stepping) to a higher Q or QX series cpu? I worry about bottlenecking and didn't know if I'm getting all out of my new video card or not...

The Q6600 is overclocked quite a bit, there could be some bottlenecking. Maybe from a benchmarking point of view, but in gaming I don't think you would notice it.

Ok... I like the idea of saving for the i7 but it would take a long time for me to do so.. I am thinking I can come up with $350 - $400 pretty quick with the help of selling my Q6600. I just wanted to do something now rather than wait a year or so..

Patience is not one of my best qualities...

I also wouldn't bother with upgrading. You would probably end up at around the same overclock and though the q9xxx is faster at the same clock as the q6xxx its not worth it IMHO.

You'll spend way too much and see minimal gains. The only upgrade really worth getting at your level is i7.

Besides, be grateful you have a good Q6600, I'm still stuck with a s754 3200+. ;)

I just priced out my dream i7 build and it was like $2500 just for the box and components. $2000 if I didn't go for the SLI GTX 295's and just went with one instead... I've always done budget / moderate in the past so this time I want to go all out... It's gonna take awhile to save that amount up...

I imagine by the time I get the money around alot of the prices will have dropped and it will be much less but then who knows what new stuff will be out then as well...

Alright, thanks for talking sense into me... I'll wait...

No one needs SLI 295s...you can build a really nice i7 machine for less than 2k I would imagine...what parts did you price out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom