PSU/GFX Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narzal

Solid State Member
Hey again :D

Well, after my previous thread about my GFX card, i'll try and explain my main problem as simply as I can, although I'm really confused right now...

I've been using my desktop for gaming, nothing more, so it's always kept up to date and never once had a problem.
Just over a week ago I updated; Nvidia Drivers (I have 8600 GTS), Sound card drivers (SB X-FI) and also Installed the latest Ventrilo for gaming.

Approx. 2 days later while playing WoW, I get a crazy distortion appear:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4469/screenal5.jpg

So I turned off the PC but it wouldn't reboot, the fans started and it was 'running' (No beeps) but nothing on the monitor at all. I tried a 2nd monitor but it was clear it's a hardware problem. Next morning it's working fine.. but again; major distortion when playing WoW and constant freezing.

After sending the PC away to a techie to reseat everything, update it all and general check over, they found nothing wrong.
PC is back today, I load WoW and again; just constant freezing every 2 seconds, reboot the PC and yep... it doesn't turn on.

My question is: Im pretty sure it's a game issue, according to forums I'm not alone. But then why is my PC basicly refusing to work after this breakdown? Could it be a PSU failing, or perhaps the GFX card failing?

Note: every other game works perfectly fine.

I've been checking the temperatures and nothing is out of place, the shop had my PC for a week and have pushed it to it's limit. Only WoW causes the problem.

And yeah the card could be bad, but why does no other game cause any problems? And why would it prevent it starting at all? Even the shop couldn't work it out :(

have you cleared the cmos? you can do this by removing the watch looking battery from the mobo and leave it out for about 5min.

is this a prebuilt? can we have specs?

The shop took it apart and completely rebuilt it so they probably did that with the Cmos, im not really that technical. I can fit bits but that's it.

I'll post specs when I can finally get it turned on, I don't remember all of it.

I know it has 2gig RAM, 8600GTS 256MB GDDR3, the rest Im not too sure of, will update asap.

All I can say it's been running the games for a year with no problems so it's definitely capable, the WoW forums state I'm not alone with the freezing/graphic issue so it's mainly the boot problem bugging me. :(

So now you have takin it to the shop after it stopped working? and it's working now? or no? if it doesn't boot now then take out your GPU and try booting with out it.. if you hear it boot normally but obviosly you wouldn't see it cause your GPU is not in it's slot.

if it boot's fine without the GPU (you will hear it post/beep) then the GPU is bad..

The PC just won't boot up anymore :( nothing but black screen, can hear the fans going etc but it's just not actually booting up.. :/

I'll try removing the GPU but I doubt that's it :S

Ok removed the GPU and booted up, the fans go and everything but obviously I can't see anything on the screen.. which is the problem I have, even when the GPU is in lol :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom