=4GB

64-bit has a maximum of:
2^64=18446744073709551616 bytes
=16 sexabytes
note:
1 sexabyte = 1024 pentabytes
1 pentabyte = 1024 Terabytes

now we just have to find a way to make RAM sticks that big

Yes and no... You can get upto 32GB on the server 2003 32bit enterprise edition. Also, you can get upto 512GB on the 64bit data center edition. Looky here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/features/compareeditions.mspx

thats for the o/s, however you are correct in that there is CPU limitations. But the enterprise edition, for example, supports upto 8 CPU's. What you quoted me with and you correction of it was not quite right. Reason being is, again, although the limitations ARE true, the o/s does support it by way of multi processor, which of course makes what I said also true.

Anyhow, there is also hardware and chipsets that help with this 4GB limit, but this is mostly server use, and as I listed as the o/s, thought it was obvious what I was talking about ;)

if your using the comp for stricktly video editing and multimedia i suggest getting dual xeons... my cousin has a dual xeon comp meant for basically the same thing you want to do and it screams past his amd64 3400+ in the same tests. but for gaming the 3400+ screams past the dual xeons. so its really up 2 you.

yep, thats essentially what I've told him. get a dual proc board as the software he is using supports dualies. he'll see more benefit that way. if it DIDN"T support it, then that would be a different story. However, things like what he's using, studio max, SQL, autocad, etc are cpu and memory ('specially sql) dependent. sql will eat up all available memory with the exception of system needed memory and will release back only what is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom