Will an American 950W PSU work in the U.K.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assailant86

Solid State Member
I just built an amazing system last night and got word I'm moving to the U.K. in 1 month. I know they are on a different power grid there but i was wandering if my computer will work off an converter or something like that or if I need to buy a new power supply.

Thanks for the help!

You may need to buy an adapter so you can adapt the cable to there socket, but there is a switch on the back of the PSU that you can switch from 120 to 220, do NOT run the 120 in UK, only the 220, and flip it while it is uplugged and drained. If you don't have this switch, usualy red, then you will have to get a converter of some sort.

your psu should work. they sell the same psu's all around the world, only thing that is diferent is the plug that goes into the wall. most psu's have a switch on the back between the two voltages, the newer ones have it automated in the psu.

You may need to buy an adapter so you can adapt the cable to there socket, but there is a switch on the back of the PSU that you can switch from 120 to 220, do NOT run the 120 in UK, only the 220, and flip it while it is uplugged and drained. If you don't have this switch, usualy red, then you will have to get a converter of some sort.

This point is worth reiterating, because if you do run it on 120, you'll blow the ***** up !

I brought mine from the USA and all I had to do was switch it to 220 and get a new power cord and it has worked perfectly. I did have to get a downconverter for a few of my other accessories like hard drives and printer. I just brought a power strip and I have 6 plugs of good old fashion US plug 110v power.

Thanks! Yeah I read into it and on the back it list the 220 and 120 V ratings with the 50hz and 60hz differences or whatever. There is no switch but I'm guessing it is automated cause it is a brand new PSU. Just bought it like 2 days ago and don't think its been out very long. Thanks for your input! I appreciate it. Hopefully all I have to do is buy new power cables =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom