The port that the modem ... is cuurently open

Status
Not open for further replies.

chermesh

Solid State Member
Hi,
I'm trying to use a pcp samrtlink 56k modem on an XP platform. The response I get is:

"The port that the modem is using is currently open by another application"

I tried to change the port, but all my efforts failed.
How do I identify the offending application, or else, what should I do?

Ran

just right click 'my computer'/properties/hardware/device manager... expand modems/right click/propeties ... somewere inthere just switch it from example- 'com 1' to like 'com 3' or something like that.(i think)

Thanks.
I tried, but any COM I choose end-up with the same error message:

"The port that the modem is using is currently open by another application"

Looks like the message refers to an APPLICATION, not to a port. If I'm right, then I should detect an application. I tried, but got nowhere.

If it's a COM port problem, then there's another piece of information to which I don't have an explanation, the Ports section in the device manager reports of the availability of COM1 and LPT1. Shouldn't I see also a COM2?

Ran

Go into device manager and go to the properties of the modem look under the resource tab. It should tell you if your conflicting with anything. you might try changing the IRQ. Your modem might be trying to use an IRQ thats already occupied.

Thanks.
I did check, and no conflict is reported.
I suspect, though, that the problem isn't in my modem properties, it's in the availability of a COM port. For some obscure reason, only COM1 shows up in my Control Panel - Ports section.
Does it sound like a problem? If so, how is it solved?

Ran

Add New Hardware in the Control Panel will allow you to install additional ports. This might be enough to resolve your issue.

Well, I tried, but...

Hi,
I tried the add hardware method, but after selecting COM port, I was asked which brand I was interested in.
What do I choose? I have no special brand.

Ran

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom