Maximus II Formula vs. Rampage Formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya i'm in the US. And i know the board is capable of hitting 400+ FSB as i ran my q6600 at 3.6ghz, and benched it as high as 4ghz. I'm just trying to recoup some of my costs, as i paid close to 300 for the board :(

Ya i'm in the US. And i know the board is capable of hitting 400+ FSB as i ran my q6600 at 3.6ghz, and benched it as high as 4ghz. I'm just trying to recoup some of my costs, as i paid close to 300 for the board :(

I understand, it seems like a great buy at 200. Especially if you've only owned it for less than a couple of months (owned or used, don't recall what you had mentioned). The board is still 288.99 on newegg before tax... I'm just really trying to decide if I should rather go with the x48 chip (not so pretty) instead of the P45 (little prettier =P). On top of that what makes a little bit more difficult is that I wanted to start watercooling the CPU. It would be my first experience and aspire has thrown out some good suggestions for me. Even though I've had experience building pc's, pretty tech savvy etc... One always has to think their first time... well, am I gunna screw something out and dowse my rig? lol... Especially if you don't always have the cash to buy/replace soppy toys :p

On top of that I'm still learning about GPU's too, I'm not certain if I'm still happy with my 8800GTX, wondering if I should try to jump into the 200GTX series cards...

Both are good choices. X48 runs alittle on the warm side but has a great memory controller. P45 runs cooler but has a weaker mem controller. Both will hit the same FSB but I'm giving the edge to P45. It's not unheard of to see 600+ on a dual or 525 on a Quad. Basically like you said it comes down to looks. As far as wcing just leak test it by tripping the psu to run overnight.

Both are good choices. X48 runs alittle on the warm side but has a great memory controller. P45 runs cooler but has a weaker mem controller. Both will hit the same FSB but I'm giving the edge to P45. It's not unheard of to see 600+ on a dual or 525 on a Quad. Basically like you said it comes down to looks. As far as wcing just leak test it by tripping the psu to run overnight.

I was reading this link here:
actually it was a link to another forum, and in the back of my mind I didn't know if tech forums would be okay with that =P

Tripping a DC pump sounds pretty intense :eek: I knew a guy in highschool who stuck a paper clip in a wall socket and was kinda setting it off, and one time he did it, it scorched the crap out of his fingers. (no affiliation)

Achieving 525x9 would be pretty intense, the highest my quad's ever seen (I really think it's mostly the rams fault in the past) One reason I am making the switch to this board is because I want a solid OC'ing board...

I previously had Crucial ballistix PC2-6400 sticks, on my P35-ds3r and would be lucky to maintain 388x9 on casual use with a tuniq tower.. granted I've currently switched to corsair dominators PC2-1066 and haven't attempted to OC much with those, I'm not certain this board could handle much with that... though do you think making the jump to one of these boards and possibly a WC system could widen my possibilities?

tripping the psu is just a paper clip in w/ the green and black wire but of course it should be unplugged from the wall. You do this so nothing else turns on in your system so the wc kit can run and leak test overnight and in case if it does you can let your parts dry out before firing back up.

It's hard to OC quads, not many boards can handle them. It produces alot of strain. WCing would certainly help keep temps low for a nice daily clock of 3.8-4.0, the latter being if you have a good chip. The P45 will handle the quad's FSB better IMO w/out stressing the NB too much w/ voltage. The X48 is great too and isn't for the faint of heart. You'll see terms in the bios that you probably have no idea what they are or have never seen. The X48 has more tweaking options to really dial in your OC's and make you work alittle harder. If done right you will have stellar clocks.

haha, well I've been at it for over a year off and on. Has done okay, but not well enough I feel like. There are still somethings I need to become more familiar with, I know the cas timings or trg on the ram is still a bit confusing to me, so I'm sure I'd really be blown over by rampages bios options. Never the less, I'd still be willing to learn it if it boils down to that. though that is good information to have for quad users trying to decide between the two. Thanks!

I'll have to get some images of a PSU being tripped lol... I'm assuming from your comment you take the 20/24 pin, insert paper clip to the green wire and to a black wire... and then plug it in and turn it on... and the only thing that'll run is the PSU/pump? Perhaps it just sounds a little more iffy in my head that what actually doing it is lol

Yes, they can hit those clocks, ON LIQUID NITROGEN. Dont get his hopes up duder.

Seriously? Even though it wasn't too stable... I was able to get the Q6600 to 3.6 for a few days just on air... I imagine with a better setup/WC 3.8 would be somewhat achievable?

my p45 board does 500FSB with this q9300. so it is a pretty sweet overclocker. the only draw back is the low multiplier on the quad. 500 will only get my up to 3.75ghz :( so i can vouch for the good overclocking of the p45.

my p45 board does 500FSB with this q9300. so it is a pretty sweet overclocker. the only draw back is the low multiplier on the quad. 500 will only get my up to 3.75ghz :( so i can vouch for the good overclocking of the p45.

Is that just on Air?

Speaking of which... as far as air is concerned, what's peoples thoughts on the Tuniq Tower... it's actually my very first build, especially over clocking, so I'm not sure if what I'm getting is impressive or not with that heatsink :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom