Worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
Right now I have a Segate 60GB 7200 RPM 2MB Buffer HD thats less than 8 months old. I was wondering if it would be worth it to go for one of the 36.7GB 10k RPM Raptor HD's? I don's use half the space on my 60GB so the size isnt a problem. I am almost finished getting all the parts to my new system AMD 64 3200+, Abit KV8 Pro, 1GB PC3200, eVGA 6800 ect... and I need to know if I should add this to my list of final parts to buy or not. Also is is it possible to use both at the same time? Like to have the operating system, games and anything else that reley heavily on the harddrive running on the 10k RPM drive, and then use my 60GB for storage of pictures and music ect... ?

yea u could do that easy, that bourd has 2 SATA connections... though im guessing the 60gig is PATA, witch would make it easyer.

if u dont even use half of the space on your 60gig, y u getting a new drive then?

the Raptor HD is worth it to some people, but depending on what u use your comp for, it could show improvements, or it might not... what kinda stuff do u use the comp for??
-----------------------------------------------------------------
i would guess the only games that would show any difference with the raptor, are new ones like Doom3/halflife2, but even then... the performance difference prolly isnt worth it, unless u do a lot of gaming.

running performance of aplications is prolly more dependent on CPU/Ram bus speed.

I use the computer for gaming, thats basically it. In the past I have run my own servers. I am also hoping to increase boot times, install times, load times ect.... I just want the system to work faster. I know that sounds dumb... but thats all I am going for, the most speed for the money I can afford.

I would guess the only games that would show any difference with the raptor, are new ones like Doom3/halflife2, but even then... the performance difference prolly isnt worth it, unless u do a lot of gaming.

Yeah, the only games that would show a difference are the ones that are constanttly loading off the harddrive and not the CD, I don't know if those do or not.

I am trying to build the best machine I can before I get any of these new games that are out and soon to be out, DOOM3, Halflife2 ect... I have the processor (Athlon 64 3200+) and the vid card (eVGA 6800) to get the job done, im just trying to top things off, and after getting all that stuff I only have about $150 left to spend and the HD is only like $120, unless I go for some better Ram which I don't think I can get for that cheap. Right now I only have el cheapo pc3200 ram, 1 512MB Samsung and 1 512MB Kingston Value.

If you get a 10k rpm drive i suggest putting everything that needs alot of performance on it like windows and high end games. everything else u can throw on the 7200. you should feel a increase in performance/speed on the 10k drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom