Building a computer (newb)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks great so far. Try to get some deals on the forums for the parts to save some $$ or if your not afraid of refurbished parts Mwave.com usually stocks some good stuff over there. Check it out.

Oh ok, so you have an OEM version of Windows, which is really annoying because for the most part Dell makes it so that if you change out your motherboard, the OEM key won't work. So chances are you are going to have to buy a new OS. Somewhat fortunately enough, System Builder CD's aren't THAT expensive in the big scheme of things, but it's an annoying thing that isn't necessary but OEM companies force on people anyways...

Yeah thats what I thought would happen. I don't really trust that XP 64bit, so I'll probably end up upgrading (or downgrading?) to vista 64bit

well he dont need a quad for just for playing wow, the e5200 would be fine. if he wants a quad then you could look in to the q9400 or the q9550

the GTX 260 is at a very good price. i would not recommend getting anything less than that.

and get vista home premium X64. since SP1 came out it is loads better than XP.

True Phil, but it would be nice to have that potential for the future, you never know what might come out next that will run GREAT on a quad. Especially since the budget here is around $800. And yeah, I really hate OEM machines, they really are the bane of my existence... But I think a nice final build would be something along these lines, keeping price in mind and needs.

MOBO:Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

PROC:Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
(If you don't mind spending the extra little bit)

RAM:Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

VCARD:Newegg.com - ZOTAC ZT-98GES3P-FSR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

HDD:Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500410AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

PSU:Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-550-PCAR 550W ATX from factor 12V V2.01 Power Supply - Power Supplies

OS:Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

CASE:Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-SKN2-GP Black / Silver Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Obviously you can change this out if you want, I just recommended one.)

$773.91

Any questions? I hope I didn't forget anything :/

Ew, never ever get an 8 series quad. And the new Q6600s are junk. Phil is right, you only really need a 5200, and they overclock like a mofo. If you're going to spend that much money on a processor, grab this one:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

I still recommend this PSU:

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

That Gigabyte board is good, but the Biostar Phil mentioned is also pretty sweet, and cheaper.

Honestly, I would grab the E5200 and spend more money on a video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom