Setting Correct RAM Speed and Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaXoR

Solid State Member
I recently finished building my new computer and got it working last weekend. I hadn't built one since 2003 and I was surprised as I was going through the BIOS because everything seemed to be automatically configured already. So I'm like, ok this is awesome, I don't have to change much.

One thing I noticed though was the memory clock setting: it was set to 800 MHz when I had DDR2 1066 RAM installed. ( Here's the RAM: Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory ) Another thing I noticed was the voltage. The spec sheet also says it's 2.2V while the BIOS setting was at 1.9V or something.

Now I already changed the 800 MHz to 1066 MHz but I am iffy about messing with the voltage. I hear you can fry stuff if you set incorrect voltages. Should I keep it where it is at 1.9V, or should I change it up to 2.2V?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

if it runs stable at 1.9v leave it

however if your system is not stable then raise it, since the ram is tested to run at that voltage

Seems to be running fine.

When I changed the clock speed, that's the only thing I did: upped it from 800 to 1066. Do I have to mess with timings or anything when I do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom