The most curious AM3

Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of gaming performance its very competitive, but this is just the start....more powerful chips will be coming down the line and at some point i expect AMD to take the performance crown back.

I think the rundown is basically this: Right now Intel is pwning. A little later AMD might pwn back. But for gaming both the Phenom and i7 cpus perform close enough to eachother for no STAGGERING difference in fps increase/decrease between them.

However, with quad core processors having been around for a while now, more current/future games will be quad core optimized. When that happens more, it's safe to say that i7's will outperform the Phenom processors.

Simply put, definitely go with the i7's if you can afford to, because when games become more optimized for today's cpu technology, they'll break completely away from the Phenom's.

Gothchick check out the benchmarks. For those benchmarks where the i7 out performs the AMD by a large margin, such is the case in gaming sometimes.

The difference is between liek 120 FPS and 160 FPS. Yes its 40FPS faster, but can you really tell the difference once your over 100 FPS? Maybe you can't but your wallet sure will.

i would say its 10-15% faster core for core....

What the heck is core for core? Like literally core for core? or architecture vs architecture?

In terms of gaming performance its very competitive, but this is just the start....more powerful chips will be coming down the line and at some point i expect AMD to take the performance crown back.

Id say there would be a large amount of time between now and then.

The thing is though, i7 is not too much faster core for core then the C2Q's.

The only reason its doing so well is because its hyperthreaded...........

No... in games its actually a decline in performance up to around -5%.
Only time ive seen it excel is in synthetic benchmarks and the occasional high end 3d solution.

No... in games its actually a decline in performance up to around -5%.
Only time ive seen it excel is in synthetic benchmarks and the occasional high end 3d solution.

I don't know what you have been reading but the benchmarks I have seen show the Core i7 faster in just about everything. The only problem is, in gaming its not much faster. I think this can be explained by the games not taking advantage of cpus with more than 2 threads and a limit with the video cards. Games put a much higher demand on the gpu than the cpu and when we see the i7 pwning at everything else and staying in the pack with gaming I think that is a sign that we still don't have good enough video cards for crysis.

The difference is between liek 120 FPS and 160 FPS. Yes its 40FPS faster, but can you really tell the difference once your over 100 FPS? Maybe you can't but your wallet sure will.

Maybe in L4D where the engine is ancient anyways, but games like Far Cry 2, Crysis and stalker clear sky are still a challenge and you can get less than favorable frame rates. But even then reading anandtech the biggest gap between Phenom 2 and Core i7 in gaming was 10 fps at the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom