OC Question Core i7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael_R.

In Runtime
Hey folks,
I was wondering, as I am not familiar with overclocking the new core i7 if I would need any special RAM or Mainboard, at the moment I was thinking of the following:

2* A-DATA XPG G Series 6gb DDR3-1600
1* MSI X58 Pro, X58

will I have any problems with those components?

Thanks in advance
-Michael

I've seen a lot of complaints with the MSI X58. I'd recommend an ASUS P6T.

I'm not really a fan of A-DATA RAM, but I know others that use that same stuff with no problems. If it were me, I'd go with G.Skill, OCZ, or Corsair.

Also, I hope you're not planning on getting 2x6GB RAM are you? o_O 6GB is plenty for pretty much everyone, unless you're one of the rare exceptions that does huge amounts of encoding or rendering or something.

Also remember that the more RAM sticks you have, the harder it is to OC them.

You'll probably want a good cooler too, like the Xigmatek Rifle.

as I will be using it for 3D creation, I definetely will need the 12gb of RAM ;)

thanks for the advice regarding the MB, will the standard P6T do the job?

Furthermore I googled a few reviews of the a-data ram and they said that it will work just fine for OC, maybe I should mention that I will not do any extreme OC.

How big of scenes are you talking? What programs? Maya, 3DS Max? I work in 3D too and I have never created anything that needed 12GB of ram.

I would go with the better set of ram I recommended because it will be much faster which will help in your 3D work. Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory here is a slightly cheaper set. That is the one I have.

P6T will do the job but I am not a fan of asus. I have heard they don't have very good customer support and EVGA has excellent customer support.

actually I know what I do, and regarding using multi million polygon models in zBrush and Mudbox, I definetely have a use for it =)

one more question, will the asus p6t be enough or do the deluxe or higher versions make more sense?

The Deluxe versions actually have less features compared to the regular version. So you're better off the the normal P6T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom