problem with sata + ide installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

s601superflow

Solid State Member
Hi All,
I had a problem with my computer & had to reformat my ide hd carrying the operating system. I also have two internal sata drives for storage.
the reformat / reinstal (windows xp) went ok but i cannot now read the data on the two sata drives . I am prompted to reformat these drives. If i do that I will loose my data. I do not want to do that. I have two external ide that when connected via usb read OK. I have tried shutting down dissconnecting tyhe sata drives rebooting with only the ide. Then reconnecting the sata drives. but the problem remains.
If I buy an external sata enclosure and connect them via usb will I be able to read & recover/ access the data?

All comments & help appreciated.

best regards
Lew

Mother board is ausrock939 cpu AMD 2200 64 Athlon. the drives are not set as raid array. I have installed the sata drivers from the mb installation disc.

I am a bit of a novice at this sort of thing. I don't mind buying the external usb enclosure if this will allow me to access the data about 7000 photos. & several travel home movies.
As they were on non system hd I foolishly thought they would be ok
Lew

Maybe you should consider the option of throwing down some money for SpinRite, I love that thing but the only downside is that the license is kinda pricey ($89), but whenever I get a HDD issue, it tends to be able to repair the drive. Or if the drive is FUBAR, it at least lets you take as much usable data off it as possible. Since it's a purchase maybe look to it towards the end if any other methods of repair don't work.

Here's a link for a look-see:GRC | Hard drive data recovery software  

Is it the 939dual-vsta?
ASRock Motherboard - Product - 939Dual-SATA2 - Download

or the 939dual-sata2?
ASRock Motherboard - Product - 939Dual-SATA2 - Download

I noticed there were 2 different sata drivers for these boards. Did you install both?
ULi SATA driver ver:1058f
JMicron SATA2 driver ver: 207

I would download the latest from the website and install these 2 drivers. You shold not need data recovery because most likely the drives are not failing. Your operating system is just not recognizing them. Do not format the drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom