CD-RW/ DVD-R upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thenovice

Beta member
Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I'm thinking of installing a new CD-RW or DVD-R drive to my other computer. I've been told I need to make sure any unit has a compatible IDE. I lifted the cover on my computer, but i still can't work it out. also is a DVD drive worth it? Are all manufacturers reliable? its a 1998 computer, not connected to the net.

Welcom to the forums:)

Definitely get the DVD-ROM drive. IDE is just the cable that connects to it, It looks like a ribbon and has a black bar at the end of each side, you can't miss it. Any brand will do I think that the Lite-on brand is good. and you can always rely on Sony.

The DVD drives have come down tremendously and you can get a very good quality DVD writer for around 100$ canadian nowadays. I have the LG 8041B super multi drive and it is a great one for like dirt cheap now. I never regretted it since I bought it a few months back

Thanks,

All pretty useful, but I think I'm guna opt for a cheaper CD-RW drive. Going down the economical student path. My uni friends have a DVD player so I think I'll save my money. Is there any difference between IDEs? I've got a book that says there are different standards like IDE ATA-1, EIDE ATA-2, ATAPI.

Everything you get nowadays should work and even if the IDE interface is different it is still interchangeable. The difference between IDE and EIDE is that one pin on the EIDE is uneeded and there is no connector on the cable for it. ATAPI is pretty much just the standard Speed of IDE @ 133Mbps. If I'm wrong Please someone correct me.

well personally i dont think dvd drives are worth it yet. dual layers are the only way to go but the discs themselves are toooo expensive.. you can get a nice dual layer dvd burner for like 70 or less now (if you know where to look)

also look at DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drives, probly available at office max or depot for less than $30 after rebate (maybe even before rebate)

Yep,
I went out after loads of research and have fitted my new 52x32x52x CD-RW drive and unbelieveably it works! well chuffed. Already burnt two disks and no probs with Nero. Is there a better burning software I can download for free once i eventually connect it to the internet. Nero's a bit complicated.

After having a DVD-R/W/rom/CD-R/W/rom combo, I would think of getting nothing less. Of course I burn DVDs and CDs frequently and play DVDs and CDs on the comp quite a bit. I would reccoment Plextor for any type of optical drive.

DaShizNit609: Even though I don't have a dual layer DVD drive, I still get great video quality burns, not quite DVD quality, but good enough for my home theater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom