Computer Will not post, even after CMOS reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

RalliArt882

Daemon Poster
The topic really says it all. Friday night, I used my computer to watch a movie with friends, and then turned it off overnight. The next morning I got up early because I had to drive somewhere that day. I turned it on because I wanted to print directions, but nothing. The fans will turn on and light up, but it wont post. Monitor wont recieve signal, keyboard and mouse wont light up ect. I shut it off and decided not to mess with it until last night when I got back.

My frist thought was that it had something to do with overclocking instability, since it was running at 3.6ghz up from 2.4. But I found this hard to believe because it has been running rock solid with zero crashes for a year now. I took off the side panel and tried to reset the CMOS with a screwdriver which always worked in the past. Still same result. The computer will light up and fans spin for 10 seconds, then shuts off. Then lights up again, repeating over and over till i make it shut off. Any guesses? Sorry I don't have any parts to swap out to determine the cause. But thanks for your help either way. This is also bad because I'm at college and its my only computer on hand.

A few things can happen here:
1) Bad RAM (I've seen it happen)
2) Bad logic board battery (depends on your MB, google it)
3) Bad power supply (even if it "mostly" works, you won't pass POST)
4) Bad processor (Not likely, but possible)

could be a bad gfx card too! i just had this problem in my post a few down from yours

I would say from the sound of it, it's your GPU, could be MB or PSU.. you could try taking out 1 stick of ram.. then see if it boots.. then switch them around if it won't work the first time.

if the above doesn't work.. take out your GPU and then try booting without it.. you won't see anything on the screen obviously but you will hear if it boots correctly and that will tell you if it is your gpu or not.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. I removed the video card completly then turned on the rig. Still no difference, it will turn on then off and repeat. So I put the card back in.

2. I removed one of my ram sticks. Still same result. I then swap and take out the other. Now, the computer will stay on and remain powered, but still no post. The mouse will light up though.

Nitestick, I will do what you say next.

It's funny how a system will run smooth and will reboot nicely, but when powered off for a day it will run into all kinds of problems.

Try booting with one stick of RAM and try it in each slot. Then try the other stick in each slot too.

Do you get an error post sequence that you can look up for further diagnostic, or just nothing at all?

my gigabyte board does this too, only when i have a sandisk cruzer micro flashdrive pluged in and when the clock skews are set too high.

so considering that you have reset the cmos it cant be your overclock.

or it could be a failing PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom