How do i COMPLETLY erase my harddrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the only OS you will have a disc for is Win 7? sounds like you may want to Download an ISO for XP.. your machine has an OEM key on the side? or somewhere in your paperwork?
if you have a lagit key then I suggest you seek out an install disc for your version of XP.. with that you can delete all the partitions and turn the disk into raw data then make new partitions and then do a quick format then install your OS.

Once you obtain your XP CD this can be done easily. from the install council "blue menu"
install a fresh copy of XP then when it takes you to your drive/partition choice, highlight the partitions and delete them, follow the options "D" and "L" on both and then "C" to create the new ones.

Go into the Cotrol Panels --> Administrative Tools --> Computer management
From there you can just erase the entire partition.

I just errased by disk with the dban boot disk and I used the Gutman method. It took two days to complete but with 35 passes that data is gone for ever. :)

If you really wanna make sure its gone...take a hammer to it and then use a blowtorch on the platters ;).

I just errased by disk with the dban boot disk and I used the Gutman method. It took two days to complete but with 35 passes that data is gone for ever. :)

Well, I guess it would be.. lol, Seriously, why on earth would anyone need to destroy data that badly? 35 overwrite's is overkill.. infact that probably will harm your drive more than anything.. 3 overwrite's is plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom