The most curious AM3

Status
Not open for further replies.
i7 is dominating performance right now. Have to wait a while for AMD to catch up. If ever. It's tough with a juggernaut corporation the size of Intel.

The thing is though, i7 is not too much faster core for core then the C2Q's.

The only reason its doing so well is because its hyperthreaded. So when you compare AMD and Intel's current lines. Your comparing slower Quad cores vs hyperthreaded Quad cores who are faster core for core to begin with.

AMD can and probably will make a come back. Their K10.5 chips have been nothing short of amazing. Around the release of bulldozer we should see AMD in all its glory once more.

It doesn't. Core i7 is a lot faster.

Yeah, no comparison. Deneb (phenom 2) competes with Core 2 quad, which is a great deal slower than Core i7. AM3 uses the same chips as the do now, think of it more as a new chipset, because that's basically what your getting. From what I understand AM3 has trouble running memory above 1333mhz and Anandtech says that with 4 sticks you are running at 1066mhz, which makes my DDR2 faster.

The thing is though, i7 is not too much faster core for core then the C2Q's.

The only reason its doing so well is because its hyperthreaded. So when you compare AMD and Intel's current lines. Your comparing slower Quad cores vs hyperthreaded Quad cores who are faster core for core to begin with.

AMD can and probably will make a come back. Their K10.5 chips have been nothing short of amazing. Around the release of bulldozer we should see AMD in all its glory once more.

i would say its 10-15% faster core for core, even with HT turned off. In a lot of benchmarks, the i965 will beat the qx9770 by a good 10-15%, especially like rendering. When you turn HT on in the same test, it'll go to like 50%. Of course, there are a lot of other benchmarks where the increase won't be as great, but an increase nevertheless

The AM3 is deneb with ddr3 support, so it's a step up from the am2 deneb but not really at the same time. AMD won't catch up with Intel's i7 until I would be as so bold to say 2 generations down the line. or if AMD can come out with some epic core architecture in the next generation that blows the new intel setup out of the water.

For me at least, every improvement AMD makes to their architecture is much appreciated.

Besides AMD doesn't have to offer the best performance to stay on top. ATI has already proven that in the GPU market.

Well I ask mostly because I did some browsing and an AM2+/AM3 motherboard is a staggeringly LOW cost price vs a i7 motherboard, and the AM2+ chips out right now (Phenom II, etc) are only about 220ish- for top line vs the lowest i7 at nearly 300 dollars. Prices have fallen to the outrageously LOW level for AMD, so I am trying to decide if bang-for-buck wise it would be worth it, or just pop in the extra 200 and get i7.

Comparitively speaking if the AMD only performs at 2/3 what the i7 I want would, then it would hit me as "equal". Yes it wouldn't be the most smoking rig on the planet, but its a Huge leap forward from broken down Pent 4 with mixed parts.

On the converse, if Phenoms can only compete about "half as well" to i7, then of course it would be better to just push the extra into it.

How did that.. what was it called... spider architecture or whatever fold out? Having AMD chip, mobo, and GPU all working together designed to be together for better performance, did it even break a sweat, or did Intel just push it over?

Only reason I am thinking of breaking from my i7 plan is because my job is cutting hours, drastically, and the money I thought I had, I don't right now. A little relief from Taxes is on it's way, I get a full 100% rebate this year, but yeah, it's not a ton.

-- I also see that the "3" boards don't seem to support Dual GPU.... which .. is very upsetting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom