Upgrading my current computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NanoSoft

Baseband Member
My current computer that I use everyday is 3 years old and has a 1.5 GHz P4 processor 512MB RAM, 40GB HD.

I've been reading articles about building your own computer and I know the basic parts to a computer....but I don't know how I would go about doing that.

I'm thinking I can just buy a new motherboard that might have a higher CPU on it then use the parts of my old computer and put it on there such as RAM. Would that cause compatibility issues?

Are there advantages between customing hardware of the computer than buying a whole new computer?

The reason why I want to do this is I just really want to up my CPU to maybe a 2.5 or better. I can defiently do with a 1GHz increase (2.5GHz) as I will see a noticeable difference.

Any advice on this subject would be helpful.

The motherboards dont usually come with a CPU unless you buy a combo unit from places like Monarch Computer which are pre-tested.Thats where i got the latest Upgrade in my sig.As far as your memory working with the new board you`ll have to research or post what type of memory you have and what MB you want for anyone to give you some sugestions.

I have 3 RAM slots, 2 used.
They are both

PC133U
256 MB Sync CL-3
133Mhz

My CPU's External Clock Speed is 400 MHz

you wont be able to use this ram in a new motherboard, because new motherboards only support DDR ram, which uses a different kind of slot to PC133, so you will need to upgrade the ram as well, if you are planning on an upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom