HDD light stays on while Win XP being loaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

paganinio

Baseband Member
My HDD light sometimes sticks on from the moment the Windows XP startup screen appearsand won't go out until I cut electricity, it's so harmful for the mainboard and hard disk. Then I turn on computer again, i see a screen with 'SAFE MODE' and some other options to choose from.

I've seen posts on this issue but have been unable to find a solution, and would really prefer to know what the HDD is doing. Unfortunatly I can't when there is no drive in there or I add a second battery.

Any ideas would be a great help.
Thankyou
---------------------------------and i upgraded to Win XP SP2------------------------------
now Win XP Service Pack 2 has nothing to do with it, the problem still exists

DETAILED DESCRIPTION:
i turned on the computer, when the Windows XP logo appeared for the 1st time, the monitor became black at once, the keyboard light was on, the power light was on, and the HDD light was staying on. then the computer didn't give any response unless i cut the electricity.

by the way, How harmful is it to cut electricity while HDD light is on??

I don't know if this even has anything to do with your problem or not, but if its staying on the entire time you use the computer, make sure the HDLED is not plugged into the System LED connector on the Motherboard. Reason I mention it is because I had almost he same problem with the harddrive light never blinking or turning off so I could never tell when it was in use. Sure enough I checked the connection and it was put into the wrong slot...

Blackmoore said:
I don't know if this even has anything to do with your problem or not, but if its staying on the entire time you use the computer, make sure the HDLED is not plugged into the System LED connector on the Motherboard. Reason I mention it is because I had almost he same problem with the harddrive light never blinking or turning off so I could never tell when it was in use. Sure enough I checked the connection and it was put into the wrong slot...

my HDD light only stays on at the Windows XP logo screen, in other case it works well

beedubaya said:
You really shouldn't cut electricity when the HDD light is on, for it could cause data corruption.

:rolleyes: :amazed: Though the HDD light was on but NO SOUND of the hard disk could be heard
so i think the HARD DISK WAS NOT REALLY WORKING, but i don't know why

and i just turned off my computer without CUTTING the MAIN ELECTRICITY(i used to cut it everytime after i turned off the computer) and turned on my computer again without turning on my SPEAKERS, this time the problem disappeared

p.s.i don't know whether it's called 'Main Electricity', the electricity of my computer, monitor and speakers all come from that thing. If i turn the Main Electricity off, they cannot be turned on either.

seems the MAIN ELECTRICITY and SPEAKERS are the solution, but why?

beedubaya said:
Sounds like a power supply issue to me. Go get your PSU tested at a local computer shop.

i just remembered that my computer does have some problem about POWER SUPPLY that everytime i turn off the computer i have to hold the 'POWER' button for several seconds to turn it off. this is not the same as other computers, they just need to click the 'Turn Off' button and the computer will be turned off automatically.

beedubaya said:
Sounds like a power supply issue to me. Go get your PSU tested at a local computer shop.

is it clear now?
index.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom