Lexar 2GB microSD card... failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
I got this micro SD I believe... just before xmas. It's 2GB, it says so on the little card, and it read that in my camera... but now it only reads 1GB.... What could have happened? Anyone heard of this before? Did like half of it break?

Maybe you filled half of it? Or have you not used it yet?

Edit: Lol, my 123rd post.

Nah I needed to format it due to all the clutter, and its option was 9xx MB instead of the 1xxx MB.... Kinda feel ripped off now... but it says "2GB" on the card.. and in the camera it used to hold 1,000 plus pictures, now it holds like 600

Did you format it to FAT? If so that could easily be the problem. FAT can not handle that much space. FAT32 has a 2GB file size limit so it seems that maybe the format is of the wrong file type.

let me try to format with NTFS.. even though its right at 2GB... just in case

FAT is the default,

973 is the only amount of space I can select....

is there another way to Format a USB based card then inside windows? I didn't quick format, and I ran error checking on it... nothing

Pretty sure the default for any SD card is FAT32, though NTFS is also available. However, cameras usually don't work with NTFS cards.

On the other hand, cameras also often have a format option. Try formatting your card using your camera if it has the ability to format cards, mine works pretty well.

If nothing else works, the SD card association has an official SD formatting tool.

SD Formatter - SD Association

What if after using the tool (since nothing else worked thats suggested) it doesn't change? Is my card 1/2 dead? cuz.. that'd suck... I got it as a 2GB for a reason... if I wanted 1GB's I woulda bought em for less then half price.

I've seen this problem before (I work for Ritz Camera/Wolf Camera) On majority of cameras the card will not work on NTFS format. I got it to work by just re formatting to Fat32. But this was on a Sandisk Ultimate III 20mb/s high speed SD Card. You'll lose your pictures, but if you wanna keep the card, I guess it's worth it. That's why it's always good to have multiple memory cards. Especially if you own a DSLR :)

yea i formatted to fat32 again, but it still only reads 900 some MB, not 2GB worth.....

gonna use the tool next, in 5 minutes Ill edit this post

That sucks :( hope it works for you. Now if I can get an answer for my driver problem I'd be happy >:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom