What's the best CPU I can get............

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesson81

Baseband Member
What's the Best CPU I can get for this Mother board. I like to run muiltiple tasks on this Computer, but what I see is that...... you really can't. I was trying to talk to a friend on MSN (voice), and do some minor video editing on it, and it just was to much for it to handle. I'm not sure if there is a dual core CPU available, but what the best possible CPU i can upgrade it to (performance), or am i stuck. (i think i might be)..

One more thing.. When I right click properties on my computer it says it's 3.0 GHZ, but the very next line says 1.98 GHZ. What is that??? if it's a 3ghz CPU, why isn't it running that???

Thanks so much for your help.....

Mother board:

Property Value
Model GE PRO-M2.
Version 3.0X
Serial Number 00000000

Chipset Vendor Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)
Chipset Model SiS650 CPU to PCI Bridge
South Bridge SiS 961/962

CPU Intel Pentium 4
Cpu Socket Socket 478
Processor Upgrade
Max CPU Speed 3200 MHz

System Slots 2 PCI

Memory Summary
Maximum Memory Module Size 1024 MBytes
Maximum Capacity 2048 MBytes
Memory Slots 2
Name Physical Memory Array

Current CPU:

Property Value
Number of CPU(s) One Physical Processor / One Core / One Logical Processor
Vendor GenuineIntel
CPU Full Name Intel Pentium 4
CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
CPU Code Name Prescott
Technology 0.09µ
Platform Name Socket 478
Type Original OEM processor
FSB Mode QDR
Platform ID 2
Microcode ID 0C
Type ID 0
CPU Clock 1978.39
System Bus Clock -1.0
System Clock 131.89
Multiplier 15.00
Original Clock 3000.00
Original Bus Clock 800.00
Original System Clock 200.00
Original Multiplier 15.00
L2 Cache Speed 1978.39 MHz
L2 Cache Speed Full
CPU Family / Model / Stepping F / 3 / 3
HyperThreading 1
L1 T-Cache 12 KµOps
L1 D-Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 1024 KB
RDMSR 00000000 00000000 0F12010F 00000000
MMX Yes
SSE Yes
SSE2 Yes
SSE3 Yes
SSSE3 No
DualCore No
HyperThreading No
IA-64 No
Intel 64 (EM64T) No
XD No
VT No
SpeedStep No
Architecture x86

There are no other Socket 478 CPUs available on newegg.com, other than the one you have, and I don't think upgrading to an old dual core or another single core CPU would benefit you too much. Sorry.

the only intel dual cores are for 775, no 478 dual cores. and you won't get any benifit unless you get a HT single core p4. I'd recommend just holding onto the money you'd use to get the cpu and put it towards an total upgrade.

Looks like it's time for an upgrade. No point in throwing any money into a new CPU for that board, and they're scarce anyway.

I thought that might be the answer. Not to disappoited, thought that would be the verdict.

The next desktop I wanted to buy, i wanted to buy all parts idividually and put it together myself. Is there a site where people posted the system that they built?? Or i guess that's the beuty of doing that, i can pick it myself.... I want to go to Quad core. Anyone recomend one that would be good for gaming as well???

I figure dual core may be a thing of the past shortly....

Dual cores are still plugging away, but if you have the money, a quad should be in your future.

Besides, the performance boost you're going to see going from the P4 is going to make you crap your pants.

Throw a budget at us, we'll scrounge up some parts.

$600 for just the guts will get you a lot nowadays. If you recycle the hardware you can (and OS), you will only need mobo, CPU, RAM, and maybe PSU.

Is your case ATX or mATX? And what is your current PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom