New SATA drive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
A clean install is always better but sometimes people do not want to reinstall everything. Did not know what category you were in.

The drive will be available for storage. In theory you could just keep your original disk running the OS and when you install new programs you could install them on the new drive with advanced install options. You could also move all of your data off the old drive to the new drive. The easiest way is to change the location of my documents to the new drive.

Just depends upon what you want to do. If you were only using the new drive I would recommended partitioning it with around 100gb for OS and programs and the other 900gb for data.

The reason it would not let you install windows was because you had not formatted it to NTFS. After it is formatted you should not have a problem. Also, why did you not just leave your old hdd as your os drive and use the 1tb to install new things on... would have been easier.

I went ahead and set up the drive as just a second HD. I think for now I'm just gonna leave it that way. I'll probably re-install windows on the old HD,and put my programs and everything else on the new one. Or maybe even put programs on the old again, and just save all of my other files to the new HD.

Well, either way, thanks for the help and the info!

Because I like to do a re-install every other year or so. Even if you run all of the proper maintenance utilities your computer still ends up getting gunked up with stuff and slowing down. A fresh install clears out everything, and the computer runs as it should. It's a pain, especially for me because I have so much software to install, but when it's all said and done it's worth it.

^^ That is nice to hear because usually no one wants to do a reinstall. They will say "I don't want to loose all of my programs. Just fix the install I have." aarg.

I do a reinstall about every 6 months. Then I reinstall programs on a as needed basis. I am always trying new stuff and my computer can get cluttered.

Because I like to do a re-install every other year or so. Even if you run all of the proper maintenance utilities your computer still ends up getting gunked up with stuff and slowing down. A fresh install clears out everything, and the computer runs as it should. It's a pain, especially for me because I have so much software to install, but when it's all said and done it's worth it.

couldn't agree more. I did not know that was your reasoning for re-installing.

Yearly clean install for me and thats with no issue's. I have had people with umpteen virus logs and corrupt files want to Ghost, it makes no sense to me and you cannot explain it to them because they have 250 Gigs of Limewire crap thay don't want to lose
does not matter. not my system i guess so.

Yearly clean install for me and thats with no issue's. I have had people with umpteen virus logs and corrupt files want to Ghost, it makes no sense to me and you cannot explain it to them because they have 250 Gigs of Limewire crap thay don't want to lose
does not matter. not my system i guess so.

lol, I make sure to back up all of my Limewire crap to my external drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom