Computer for HD Editing Primarily

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience editting is not GPU bound but it eats up ram like nothing else. You will also want large and fast hard drives. Trust me, when you're dealing with files in the multiple GBs the read times of the hard drives come into play big time. Edit: Multiple digit gigabytes. Normal video is 400mb/minute roughly...I imagine HD has got to eat up space like crazy.

I often dream of building my own "dream editting" rig, and I always include some kind of raid in my fantasies because the idea of a hard drive failure after I've dumped and reused the tape would devestate me. In my dreams (really) I have a raid 0 + 1 with four 1 tb hard drives. This gives you 2 tbs of space operating faster than without a raid and with data redunancy.

In reality, though, a hard drive is unlikely to fail. I still might would do a mirror raid since hard drive prices are down. I saw a 1tb hard drive for $50 the other day (can't remember where), so an extra $50 for data redundancy? Seems worth it to me.

Of course, my comments assume you're doing this at least half-professionally and have clients or costumers whose expectations you have to meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom