Dell Spare Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

PH3N0M

In Runtime
Well, I just called Dell Spare Parts to ask what the cost would be for the XPS 730x motherboard C771N and XPS 730x Intel 940 processor G441M. Barely 2 minutes into the call, Julia hung up on me...FOR NO REASON!!!!! I called right back using her extension and whaddya know, I'm told I need to leave a message. Dell must have a requirement for people to have an I.Q. lower than 70 if they want to operate the phones.

Then, I call back a second time. Mark proceeds to tell me that maybe I should upgrade my hard drive and ram and I replied that I have 10,000rpm Raptor hard drives and 4gb of ram, I don't need to upgrade either of them but that I want to upgrade my chipset and cpu to the latest technology. He then tells me that I need to be transferred to tech support to make sure it would be compatible with my system. I tell him that I have an XPS 730 and I know it's compatible but he proceeds to transfer me anyway. Then, tech support transfers me back to sales.

This time, I finally have someone who knows what's going on. However, she asks me why I want to change my chipset and cpu, what has happened to my computer? I tell her nothing, I just want to upgrade. I give her the part number for the Core i7 chipset and she asks where I got this information and I tell her from Dell Chris M, the desktop liaison for the Dell support forum. The price for the chipset...$569. She tells me they're not allowed to sell the processors and I tell her that she's misinformed because I have the part number, which she asks for...the cpu price, $1400.

She then tells me for the cost of upgrading, it would be better for me to just buy a new Dell computer! I laughed and said...I don't think so! I can get the chipset and cpu from an online e-tailer for under $1000!! Then, without further ado, I hangup the phone.

I can get a 940 Nehalem 2.93ghz cpu and an X58 chipset on Newegg for $900. I guess I'll just wait awhile because for what I do, gaming and web design, there's no need for me to drop $900 for the latest and greatest when Dell wouldn't give support if something was to go wrong.

Oh, well. The tri-sli with GTX 285s, QX9770, and 8gb of DDR3-1333 will have to suffice. :(

Well, yeah, you are always better off when seeking high performance to build it yourself.. Dell just like all the others are proprietary machines.. they will always limit you.

Heck, if you want to update it that badly, just buy a new case, the mobo/cpu and then swap all the other parts into it, but you should note your dell cd wont let you reinstall windows anymore as it isn't a dell motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom