*The Official Tech-Forums Super Pi 1M Rankings*

Re: Tech Forums Official SuperPi 1M Top List

TasteGW have you heard about the Heka chips?

Apparently there is the X3 720 (Black Edition) which clocks pretty well. Which is fine, but the X4 920 is like $40 more expensive. Which will clock about as high and its got an extra core.

PC Perspective - Phenom II X4 810 and X3 720 Processor Review - DDR3 Arrives for AMD

AMD's AM3 CPUs: Phenom II X4 810 and Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition

[ Hardware.Info ] - Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition tested

That would be a great upgrade for some one like Vern. The 720 is about $150 from what I've heard.

That's a bit ambitious expecially seeing as Superpi only uses a single core.

Plus at 3.78ghz and 4-4-4-12 timings I only got 13.515s

Only passed below 13s at 3.95ghz.

I think you're forgetting that Wolfdales/Yorkfields are significantly faster clock for clock compared to Conroes/Kentsfields

TasteGW have you heard about the Heka chips?

Apparently there is the X3 720 (Black Edition) which clocks pretty well. Which is fine, but the X4 920 is like $40 more expensive. Which will clock about as high and its got an extra core.

PC Perspective - Phenom II X4 810 and X3 720 Processor Review - DDR3 Arrives for AMD

AMD's AM3 CPUs: Phenom II X4 810 and Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition

[ Hardware.Info ] - Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition tested

That would be a great upgrade for some one like Vern. The 720 is about $150 from what I've heard.

That sounds like a worthy upgrade for me... but I can't run chips above 95w TDP.. (I really should have spent the extra $10for the M2+ HP which supports all TDP's)

I might consider the X3 in the future, but I got me a X2 5000+ that'll keep me happy for a while

EDIT: I'm really thinking about why the Deneb would have a lot more potential if it had more cache (like the Q9450)...

I mean it beats the q9400, but that's only with the less cache in the q9400 as opposed to the q9450.... I think AMD should consider putting more L2/L3 cache in its future platforms for it to be truly more aggressive

vern an L2 cache increase wouldnt do anything for deneb. the L3 cache is only 2mb smaller than a nehalem.
the IMC eliminates the need for a large L2 cache like the 9450 has. which is why nehalem has a smaller L2 cache than deneb (4 x 256 nehalem vs 4 x 512 for deneb).

On my laptop:

Untitled-8.jpg

vern an L2 cache increase wouldnt do anything for deneb. the L3 cache is only 2mb smaller than a nehalem.
the IMC eliminates the need for a large L2 cache like the 9450 has. which is why nehalem has a smaller L2 cache than deneb (4 x 256 nehalem vs 4 x 512 for deneb).

I think it would.

The previous phenoms were only 2mb cache and 65nm...going down to 45nm and adding the extra cache is what made the chips so much faster.

Yeah, because it allowed them to increase the ipc and less heat = higher headroom for overclocking.

Back
Top Bottom