Windows 2K Pro won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrunchyToast

Solid State Member
Hello everyone! I'm CrunchyToast and this is my first post here as I am stumped. I'm not a newbie to computers at all, but I've never encountered something like this.

I have a 100% clean, fresh install of Windows 2000 Pro SP4 that will not boot into Windows. It gets all the way to the Windows loading screen and the little blue bar at the bottom fills all the way up and then the problem occurs. It stays just like that.

I can happily boot into Safe Mode, but that's it. I have tried to access Windows Update, but it won't work correctly through Safe Mode. This is a problem I have never seen before.

The system used is an eMachines T1801 which was built with Windows ME, but I refuse to use ME as it errors up and down. This system has even run with XP Pro before but decided to downgrade due to slow speed and low resources.

Any assistance will be much helpful.

- CrunchyToast

Most likely you've run into a driver conflict. Has the machine used 2000 before? Or was it only ever using ME?

Well even though XP is heavily based off of 2000 and NT there were many driver changes as they change all the time. I'm sure you already know. I would start by downloading the video, audio and chipset drivers and install them in Safe Mode. Unplug any extra peripherals from the computer too except for the mouse, keyboard and monitor.

This page displays the specifications for the computer.

I have attempted to install the 810 chipset drivers only to receive the following message:
The current operating system supports the Intel chipset devices on your system. No INF update is needed.
Also, installing new video drivers were no effect.

Update: I also tried the installation of Windows ME then put Windows 2000 over it, with the same conflict.

SOLVED:

The issue was in my display adapters. I'm using a PCI adapter as my main, but when I boot into Windows, it wants to use the non working AGP. I went into the device manager and disabled the AGP adapter.

I figured it out when I just starred at the screen. When it loaded 100% the image wasn't as clean as it was before so I knew it had to be a graphics issue. PCI is set as my main graphics in the bios, but Windows was set default to AGP, so into safe mode I went to disable my AGP :D lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom